Testig suspect shotgun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Testig suspect shotgun

Help please.
I've just bought a second hand AkG C568EB shotgun. It appears to have been dropped some time back. It is working but does not have any directional ability. I am using it on a Canon A1 and it doesn't sound any different to the onboard mic. Side sounds are being picked up as loudly as front ones. Is there a more positive test I can do? Michael
Michael Threadgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Threadgold View Post
Help please.
I've just bought a second hand AkG C568EB shotgun. It appears to have been dropped some time back. It is working but does not have any directional ability. I am using it on a Canon A1 and it doesn't sound any different to the onboard mic. Side sounds are being picked up as loudly as front ones. Is there a more positive test I can do? Michael
More positive than what and what are you trying to learn??? You didn't say how you've tested it so far.

To get an idea of its directionality, try a point source like a ticking clock. Feeding it into a mixer or headphone amp and wearing phones, point the mic at the clock, then slowly rotate it 180 degrees until it's pointed completely away from the clock and listen for the changes in the volume of the ticking as the angle of rotation changes. Note that shotguns don't completely ignore off axis sounds, they just drop off in level as you point them away from the source. Also, contrary to myth, shotguns do not magnify sound the way a telephoto lens magnifys an image so if you're comparing it to the on-board camera mic by pointing them both at the same source from the same distance it's not surprising that they don't sound any different.
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Testing shotgun

Hi Steve, thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay- it was faulty so I sent it back. Michael
Michael Threadgold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio