NEW RODE NTG-3 shotgun. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I have had this discussion a hundred times. Here's the deal. If you can hear the difference but decide not to give yourself the chance, you have just shot yourself in the foot. End of story.

Seasoned pros can hear the difference, so it is obviously there. We're not talking subjective "taste" here. We're talking what a piece of gear can do. If you decide not to pursue a piece of gear that you'll buy once and use for the next 20 years, fine. Just make sure you own that decision.
I respectfully disagree here. You (or "seasoned pros") may very well be able to discern a difference, but it may still be subjective, and a matter of "taste"... at least for any given application.
Frank Genus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The limiting device is sometimes the rendering device to your ear. I doubt many could hear the difference between a Rode and a Schoeps on a 3" mono TV speaker, or through laptop speakers for example. Playback on a THX certified cinema screen however (or even just a decent pair of headphones) and I would hope anyone could tell the difference.

Home cinema is getting better and better. 3" mono TV speakers are disappearing.

Having said that, I don't own a Schoeps and the indie productions I work on are happy with the sound of a 20 year old 415T and Oktava MK012 which I do own.
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #18
Major Player

The only thing I find strange is that whenever someone talks about how great a $200-400 mic is performing for them, there ALWAYS seems to be someone to come along and say that it's nothing compared to a Schoeps, or a Neumann or something else that sells for 3x as much.

I don't think anyone is doubting that, but it's for a different market and someone with a higher budget. Obviously people shopping for Rode mics are interested in a great mic for a great value, they're not claiming it's the cream of the crop.

I for one am quite interested in what Rode has to offer with their NTG-3 as I don't use shotgun mics very often this may be a good secondary mic for those rare occasions.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I understand what each person's points are, what I don't understand is why the Schoep's would be brought up.

Obviously these two pieces of equipment are for completely different audiences otherwise they would be more similarly priced. The fact that they are both shotgun mics is the extent to their similarities. They most likely will be used for different purposes with different end media outputs in mind.

No one can argue that a $2000 mic will outperform a $300 one. But how can they be compared together? Only a $2000 mic can be compared to others in its price range, and the same for a $300 one.

When I was looking for audio equipment, the Schoeps mic alone was $1500 out of my price range so it wasn't even a consideration. Why would one's decision that it sounds better suddenly have a factor? This is such a pointless comparison.

The Rode mics perform superbly for the amount you put into them. And about three months ago I noticed on their website that it said that the shockmounts could fit the "NTG-1, NTG-2, and NTG-3" so its about time this one is coming out!
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Genus View Post
I respectfully disagree here. You (or "seasoned pros") may very well be able to discern a difference, but it may still be subjective, and a matter of "taste"... at least for any given application.
...and "seasoned pros" may well be able to afford $2000 for one microphone. Us enthusiastic amateurs have to make do with what we can get, unless you have more disposable income than me!

I'm sure if this was more than a hobby I'd have a whole cupboard full of $2000+ microphones just waiting to be used. As it is, I (and others) can only dream, and meantime we have to make do with more affordable offerings.

But yes, I understand Ty's orginal response to "nothing outperforms the Rode". The original statement should maybe have been "nothing in the $250 price bracket can outperform the Rode"
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #21
Tourist

Shotgun mic and stand recommendation

I've been following the threads on mic conversations for a while and think you all are my best source for deciding upon which shotgun mic to buy and the appropriate stand to go with it. I need the mic for video documentary productions, primarily for interviews where I want ambient wilderness sound and in some instances two folks talking together at the same time about an issue, like in real dialogue. I use a lavalier mic for indoor interviews.

My camera is the Panasonic AGDVX100b.

I've been impressed with everything I've been hearing and researching about the AT 897, but before buying wanted to pop in and get some good advice. Is this still one of the best values?

Here are my questions about the mic:
My docs deal with issues of conservation in Costa Rica, so I'm in the hot, humid tropical rainforest shooting, and it's now rainy season. I have protective rain gear for my camera, but what about the mic -- is the AT 897 a good mic for these weather conditions? I've been using the Panasonic shotgun mic designed for the 100b, but I want to step up another notch with my audio.

If I go with the AT 897, what do I need to buy to protect it while shooting in the rain? I'm thinking an umbrella would probably suffice, but am not sure.

Will the AT 897 withstand high heat, high humidity?

Is there a better choice for these conditions than the AT 897?

If I get the AT897, is there a particular stand you recommend for outdoor field shoots? I've been looking at tripod, telescoping stands. The jungle is anything but level ground, so I need something sturdy, but I also need something lightweight, as I haul my equipment through the rainforest on my back and shoulders for hours at a stretch.

Wow! This is a lot I know, but I'm looking for some sound advice.
Jeanette McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
.But yes, I understand Ty's orginal response to "nothing outperforms the Rode". The original statement should maybe have been "nothing in the $250 price bracket can outperform the Rode"
'persactly!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette McDermott View Post
Wow! This is a lot I know, but I'm looking for some sound advice.
Hi Jeanette and welcome. You're better off starting a new thread for your questions as you've posted them here. It's called 'off topic' or worse 'hi-jacking the thread' not a good idea as others will want to find the same answers you'll get...by your thread title :)

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Mike C.,
You're right about the law of diminishing returns generally. The CMIT 5U really is on a another level though. I'm not kidding. That mic is remarkable.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #25
Major Player

I have no doubt about that, Marco. My point was that for any given application, there is a "good enough" product and ANY given product has other characteristics, beyond the technical, that make it good or bad for any specific application. For mic's, things like size, reliability and ability to withstand abuse apply to the equation in certain situation.

I have done lot of work in, over and around water, hazardous waste sites, disaster scenes etc. A nice sounding, but rugged "chevy" mic at a price that won't kiil me if it gets dropped overboard or the muff gets caught on a hunk of scrap metal, works far better for that purpose than a $2,000 "ferrari" mic.
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
I have no doubt about that, Marco. My point was that for any given application, there is a "good enough" product and ANY given product has other characteristics, beyond the technical, that make it good or bad for any specific application. For mic's, things like size, reliability and ability to withstand abuse apply to the equation in certain situation.

I have done lot of work in, over and around water, hazardous waste sites, disaster scenes etc. A nice sounding, but rugged "chevy" mic at a price that won't kiil me if it gets dropped overboard or the muff gets caught on a hunk of scrap metal, works far better for that purpose than a $2,000 "ferrari" mic.
That's where something like an AKG Blueline or Rode can come in handy even if the mainstay of your kit is something like the Schoeps
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #27
Major Player

By all means, buy a Schoeps if/when you can afford a Schoeps. In the meantime, buy and use what you can afford. It's better to have a serviceable-but-less-than-perfect mic and use it for a while than it is to have no mic whatsoever. Silence is rarely an option these days. :)

Mics tend to hold their value pretty well, so you can always sell the cheaper mic for almost what you paid for it when the time to buy the Schoeps arrives--or hold onto it for use in dangerous situations, as Steve suggests.
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
... It's called 'off topic' or worse 'hi-jacking the thread' ....
I'd like some info on the new NTG-3.
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #29
Inner Circle

To be confirmed, the RRP will be $US599.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #30
Wrangler

At that price point, you could make a pretty good argument to bite the bullet and go for the US$1,000-$2,000 level mics.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio