Will digital input give me balanced, interference free audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 7th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Will digital input give me balanced, interference free audio?

Hi there,
Once again I´m asking for some obvious answers.
Would I get balanced and interference free audio when I use a mic pre amp with Analog to Digital converter (Core Sound Mic2496 V2) and input that digital (optical) signal to a recorder like Sony PCM D50? Will my sound still be distorted by incoming cellular/mobile phone signals etc? Or does it depend or vary on the inner circuitry of the recorder?

I want to use really clean preamps etc so this system is the best and cleanest in the sub $1500 area but I need to know it before I make another investment.

Thanks in advance,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It would depend on where the interference is getting in. For esample, if it's your mic that's picking it up, it's already part of the signal before it ever gets to the A/D converter stages. As far as whether the digital signal is on a balanced line, that depends ... AES/EBU or AES3 digital is on a 110 ohm balanced cable while S/PDIF is on a 75ohm unbalanced cable. Regardless, because of the nature of digital signals, it's a far less important consideration there than it is for analog audio signals.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio