BOOM poles.... a low level perspective - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I have the Avalon as well, and as Wayne says, you've got to shake that sucker hard to get any noise, and in that case you'd most certainly get rumble or other problems. It's never ruined a take. Mine won't collapse all way any more, by the way. But that's okay, because I never close it all the way anyway.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Is the rode considered skimping?
I'd like to know the answer to this as the Rode Boom Pole seems the cheapest in price out of the options discussed on this thread.

But if I was to go the K-tek route (carbon fiber or aluminum), for someone new to the boom pole world and still fairly new to the AV world, would you guys recommend getting a boom pole that's internally coiled or no? It seems both require careful handling to avoid getting noise. So, what's easier to work with?

The nice perk of the route without the coiled cable is that it's cheaper, although on the aluminum Avalon, the price diff doesn't seem too bad. There's about a $70 price difference on the carbon fiber though - if I was going to go that high.
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #18
Regular Crew

For me I use a external cable, that way if any thing should go wrong just switch the cable out. I guess I like to see whats going on.
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Panamic pole

One of my poles is a Panamic carbon fibre job, 29" collapsed, 88" extended, four sections. A very useful range for one man band work as it will reach nicely from the back seat of a car through to cover the driver underneath yet extend far enough for most walking/talking shots. I am an 'outside wiring' man, using a curly cable but supported on each section with cable ties, loose enough to slide, to stop rattling. This gives the option of changing length during a shot. No droop.
Another pole I have is 49" collapsed to 160" extended. it's another carbon fibre, 4 section Panamic. A bit droopy with a Sennheiser 816 in its gag on the end at full extension, but perfectly controllable.
With these two poles I find I can cover nearly every situation. Longer poles are available, of course.
From time to time I lubricate the poles with dry silicone spray, the sort used for curtain track. I would hesitate to use WD40 or any wet lubricant.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #20
Slash Rules!

I'm not a boom expert by any means, but I think one think to consider is how you'll use it. Now, I knew getting mine that rare was the time I would ever use it like a boom operator. I'd either be working as a one-man band, which would mean putting it on a C-stand, or I'd have another crew member operate it.

The rode, while it seems sturdy, and is 10 ft when fully extended, is probably one of the bulkier/heavier poles you'll come across. I understand that a boom operator probably wants the lightest rig that'll do the job, and the Rode is definitely a heavy boy. Not a problem for me, but might be something for you to consider.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Sasha - sounds like a good reason to go with the external cable. I'll remember that.

Josh - thanks for the heads up on the weight of the Rode. That's something to definitely consider if I decide to go that route.

Nick, The Panamic sounds cool, but I tried searching online for it and couldn't find anyone selling it or a price. I have a feeling that it'll be expensive though. I liked that in my Google search I saw how on Panamic's site, it said that the pole is designed in such a way that any part can be replaced if something goes wrong. That sounds pretty cool. Thanks posting your pole maintenance advice too.

I myself am really looking to buy something entry level if I can only find it new, but preferably something better if I can find it used (hopefully a Boom Pole is something which can be a safe purchase used if the old owner seems like he too good care of it.

If anyone has any other brands and models, please do post. For every brand and model that's been discussed so far, I've tried to looking on bhphoto.com, ebay, the classifieds here, etc. A good part of the decision on what to purchase is what's available.
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Panamic

Panamic dealer in USA is:
Trew Audio (Nashville)
220 Great Circle Road, Suite 116, Nashville, TN 37228-1798
Tel: 800-241-8994 (Toll-free)

I suppose worth considering if you are after something hard to get and are happy to pay the international carriage is BB List

It is very popular over here for professionals to buy and sell used gear, and the system really works well. Just a thought.

Last edited by Nick Flowers; September 14th, 2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: New info.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #23
Inner Circle

"for someone new to the boom pole world and still fairly new to the AV world, would you guys recommend getting a boom pole that's internally coiled or no?"

Internally cabled all the way. Using an externally cabled pole is exponentially harder. You really don't want to skimp on the pole. I consider the K-Tek to be the absolute minimum. Not only are cheaper poles usually heavier, as Josh points out, but they also usually have way more flex. The K-Tek (especially the aluminum) is very stiff, and that's a good thing.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I prefer internally wired so I can shorten or lengthen the pole quickly with no cable management issues like hanging loops of cable. My preference only...

Edit: Just saw Marco's post and I agree 110%. I had used the carbon fibre K-Tek but BOUGHT the aluminum K-Tek Avalon. NO regrets. For docs and training/promo videos, the 9-ish feet is plenty for me.
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Flowers View Post
Panamic dealer in USA is:
Trew Audio (Nashville)
220 Great Circle Road, Suite 116, Nashville, TN 37228-1798
Tel: 800-241-8994 (Toll-free)

I suppose worth considering if you are after something hard to get and are happy to pay the international carriage is BB List

It is very popular over here for professionals to buy and sell used gear, and the system really works well. Just a thought.
Thanks for the advice Nick.
I saw Trew Audio as the USA seller on panamic's site, but didnt see any panamic merchandise listed on there except something about a panamic mount part of a used package. Perhaps if I call.

I checked out the BB list and just saw one thing for Panamic as part of a $2800 GBP audio kit so that's kind of out. He is willing to split up, but I have no idea what to offer. I'll keep an eye on here though for Panamic and other stuff.
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
"for someone new to the boom pole world and still fairly new to the AV world, would you guys recommend getting a boom pole that's internally coiled or no?"

Internally cabled all the way. Using an externally cabled pole is exponentially harder. You really don't want to skimp on the pole. I consider the K-Tek to be the absolute minimum. Not only are cheaper poles usually heavier, as Josh points out, but they also usually have way more flex. The K-Tek (especially the aluminum) is very stiff, and that's a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I prefer internally wired so I can shorten or lengthen the pole quickly with no cable management issues like hanging loops of cable. My preference only...

Edit: Just saw Marco's post and I agree 110%. I had used the carbon fibre K-Tek but BOUGHT the aluminum K-Tek Avalon. NO regrets. For docs and training/promo videos, the 9-ish feet is plenty for me.
Thanks for the feedback guys. So it seems internally is definitely the way to go, and I keep seeing votes for the K-Tek Avalon Aluminum so I think that's what I'm leaning towards. it's approx double the price of the Rode, but that's not too bad - esp if I can find it used somewhere.

Shaun - you said the 9ish feet is plenty for you. Looking on bhphoto.com (k-tek avalon | B&H Photo Video), it seems that the max size for the K-tek aluminum avalon is 6.7'. If I don't get an Avalon, and get the KE110CC instead, that hits the 9ft mark and seems to be a little bit more. I also may be able to get this used from the same seller that sold me my XH-A1 a few days ago.

As mentioned before, if anyone has anything else they'd like to suggest for a boompole, then please do as I'd like to look around new and used for options.

My next round of questions once I get this settled will be on the shockmount to attach the mic to this boompole, but I'll hold off on getting too deep in that discussion and taking this thread off topic.
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I've got a Rode - and it's also rather useful with a small comsumer cam on the top! - I use it sometimes just to get wide angle shots from above - it's quite strong and light enough to be used this way.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
As mentioned before, if anyone has anything else they'd like to suggest for a boompole, then please do as I'd like to look around new and used for options.

My next round of questions once I get this settled will be on the shockmount to attach the mic to this boompole, but I'll hold off on getting too deep in that discussion and taking this thread off topic.

I bought an internal coiled cabled 12 foot carbon fibre Loon Boom with a Rycote Invision mount just a few weeks ago. Very light weight, almost no sag or flexing with my Schoeps mounted, you have to really shake it to get cable slap and whack it to get handling noises. Also has incredibly smooth extension and retraction action. Their system for mounting the cable is such that removing or replacing it because of a fault is very speedy and the gadget the internal coil version attaches to at the base, the "Wing," is perfect to position and protect a plug-on wireless transmitter if you want to go that route. Highly recommended. Also recommend the Loon coiled jumper cable to connect the boom to your mixer if you're working from a bag ENG style. http://loonaudio.com/index.php
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Shahryar: My boom is indeed a 110CC in the Avalon Aluminum line. Not sure where to find it on B&H's site as I bought mine quasi-locally up here in Canada.

Edit: For the record - as much as a LOVE my Avalon, if I were buying again, I would look seriously at the Loon Boom Steve mentions. You won't go wrong with either solution though.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #30
Regular Crew

the Rode boom 3m pole is 1kg!

Interesting discussion, here's my two-pence worth, based in UK. As the others have mentioned, internally coiled isn't as popular here, and I can't say I've used one.

I initially bought one of those cheap Rode 3m boom poles that has been discussed after trying to find some place on the internet that told me its weight, but couldn't find anywhere.

It said: "In fact it is only a fraction heavier than the carbon-fibre offerings that cost much more." So, I decided to buy it. When it arrived I was so shocked how heavy and thick the thing was I put it on my kitchen scales and it weighed in at 1kg! Most carbon fibre poles of similar length are getting towards half that weight - Panamic's 3m is 580g! So, I'm afraid that review is way off the mark. The foam padding at the bottom of the pole isn't the most sensible of materials to cut down handling noise, either, as any little squeeze transfers its way up.

After a couple jobs, I decided to take the plunge and get a Panamic 4 piece 2.29m (450g) having used them before in studio and from hire companies - there really is no comparison - it is leagues ahead of the VDB pole which I also tried out. Panamics are VERY expensive but will last a lifetime if looked after. The mechanisms are just so much better and smoother - I can lock/unlock the collars easily with one hand and the nylon webbing is comfortable and pretty noiseless. Anyhow, enough plugging Panamics.

I keep the Rode now as a backup and in case I need that extra couple feet for anything. For the mount, I have a full Rycote suspension basket which is very effective - if you're buying 2nd hand do note that there are a few different models of their mounts, some with a full circle around the mic holder, offering more stability (the rubber bands therefore cross the mic in an X shape), and some with the horseshoe shape holder which I don;t think is as stable. I bought one of those cheap suspension units from India on ebay as a backup for another 416 - I have had to make some alterations that involved plastic tape to make it usable - it's nowhere near as good as the Rycote but isn't too bad at all.

Anyhow, I'm probably one of those that has fallen into the trap of trying to save money buying cheaper gear and then eventually being frustrated with it and then forking out for the more expensive stuff eventually. I keep saying to myself 'I can always keep it as a backup once I've got a new one...'

Best,

Baldwin
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio