DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser EW100 ENG G2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/122124-sennheiser-ew100-eng-g2.html)

Craig Cook May 21st, 2008 12:40 PM

Sennheiser EW100 ENG G2

Hi'
I would appreciate any input you all have on the Sennheiser EW100 ENG G2 Kit.
I I am making a documentary about my disabled son (Downs Syndrome) and plan to use this mike to keep things simple.

Thank you,
Craig

Robert Morane May 21st, 2008 02:25 PM

I have been using it for a year now and it work flawlessly.
We recently use it to record a yoga teacher for a 40 hours seminar, sound was perfect. I also recorded long interviews inside and outside always a charm to operate.
I can only recommand it.
Many criticized the lavalier provided with the kit, I can only say that the sound was good enough for me and never had any complaint, so try it and trust your ears before spending on anything else.

Dan Keaton May 21st, 2008 03:02 PM

Dear Craig,

The Sennheiser G2 wireless units work well.

The ME2 lavaliere works for many applications.

For critical work, or for the best sound, a better lavaliere can be added at any time. This will improve your sound quality.

The Sennheiser wireless units come in Frequency Groups A, B & C for the United States and two more groups are available for use in other countries.

In the United States, I would not purchase the "C" group at this time.

Elias Neris May 22nd, 2008 12:43 AM

Check here for your city to choose the best frequency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 881231)
Dear Craig,

The Sennheiser G2 wireless units work well.

The ME2 lavaliere works for many applications.

For critical work, or for the best sound, a better lavaliere can be added at any time. This will improve your sound quality.

The Sennheiser wireless units come in Frequency Groups A, B & C for the United States and two more groups are available for use in other countries.

In the United States, I would not purchase the "C" group at this time.

what's wrong with C? I bought group C last year as it had the most free frequency but they are all the same here in Chicago.

Chris Swanberg May 22nd, 2008 12:54 AM

My understanding is that C will be dead in a year for wireless mics. It infuriates me to see dealers selling off the C banded stock and not letting you know that.

Elias Neris May 22nd, 2008 12:59 AM

Opps, I made a mistake I'm a bit sleepy I actually have Band A. This is one mistake that worked in my favor knowing what you just said about band C.

Doug Okamoto May 22nd, 2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg (Post 881441)
My understanding is that C will be dead in a year for wireless mics. It infuriates me to see dealers selling off the C banded stock and not letting you know that.

Can you explain more on this please?

David Ennis May 22nd, 2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg (Post 881441)

You can't kill a band. A set designed to work on the C band will work. I suppose that a band could be reassigned by the FCC, allowing a lot of other uses that could interfere, and I suppose that the FCC could mandate that manufacturers stop producing new wireless sets using that band. But a Google search didn't turn up anything like that.

Dan Keaton May 22nd, 2008 04:57 AM

Dear David,

It is not that the band will be killed off or made illegal; it is that this portion of the frequency spectrum is being sold for other uses.

How this will affect you is not really known.

What is known, however, is that you may be subject to more interference, or the possibility that you will not be able to find a free channel with the "C" Band units.

Everything is up in the air at this time. Bands A and B may also have problems as their portion of the frequency spectrum is reassigned.

However, the most vulnerable at this time is Band C.

Please note that this is not just a Sennheiser problem, all UHF wireless units from any manufacturer are affected

Wayne Brissette May 22nd, 2008 04:58 AM

There is a lot of speculation about the 700 MHz frequency spectrum sell off. All manufacturers here in the US are trying to figured out what is FUD and what is real. Some like Lectro will retrofit blocks 28 (I'm sure for a price). Sennheiser has already said they won't if their 'C' block has issues after the sell off. There are really two schools of thought on this. One school of thought is you'll simply have a harder time finding a clear channel, the other is you'll be banned by the FCC from using it. It's important however to remember that the 'C' block will continue to work through all of this. I suspect it'll simply be harder to find an open frequency, and even if banned, I doubt people will toss their radios into the rubbish pile any time soon. It will be more like Japan where wireless is pretty much prohibited (except on narrowband block 31), but all EU and US crews still use their gear and the government agencies simply turn a blind eye.

Wayne

Craig Cook May 22nd, 2008 08:26 AM

Thanks for the input

Thank for the information, good timing also, was planning on a purchase this morning.

David Ennis May 22nd, 2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 881487)
Dear David,

It is not that the band will be killed off or made illegal; it is that this portion of the frequency spectrum is being sold for other uses.

How this will affect you is not really known.

What is known, however, is that you may be subject to more interference, or the possibility that you will not be able to find a free channel with the "C" Band units.

Everything is up in the air at this time. Bands A and B may also have problems as their portion of the frequency spectrum is reassigned.

However, the most vulnerable at this time is Band C.

Please note that this is not just a Sennheiser problem, all UHF wireless units from any manufacturer are affected

Thanks, Dan. I think that's pretty much what I said. But does anyone have an authoritative link on this issue?

Dan Keaton May 22nd, 2008 11:31 AM

Dear David,

Here is one:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/27/u...k-700mhz-band/

Here one from the FCC directly:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def..._summary&id=73

Guy Cochran May 23rd, 2008 02:16 PM

Hi Craig,

Sounds like an interesting project. The Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless sounds like a good solution for your audio needs. They've become almost an industry standard in the under $1000 range. The one thing that gets most people is that the unit will ship with the "AF OUT" on the Receiver a bit hot. So you'll need to turn it down to about -12. Here's a video that may help http://dvcreators.net/products/sennh...movieframe.htm

Good luck with your project.