G2 100 feedback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:30 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Trying to match my G2's to my Sony EX1 has been a chore, but you really need to start practicing good "gain staging" as this is the best way to avoid getting noisy or hissy audio. That means getting a good, hot level coming out of the mic into the transmitter, adjusting the output of the receiver via the AF Out so that you are feeding a strong signal into your camera and, in my case, getting the proper input sensitivity set in my Audio menu and, finally, setting the trim levels on the outside of the camera. Four different places to screw up your audio!!! ;-)
That's what you really need to do. Especially when using a mixer, so the audio person can look at the mixer and not at the camera meters to know if your levels are good.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:31 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Dave, I suspected that you meant that. In other words, it's best to do it as you and Dan outlined, setting the levels correctly. But your're also saying if it seems fine by simply using the mic att switch, and I don't want to go into the menus for some reason, such as time crunch or whatever, it will do in a pinch. eg. when I have to do a reset in the field and can't take the time to do detailed settings of the levels.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM   #18
Inner Circle

The Mic Att switches normally put in about 10-15 dB of reduction. In what pinch would you find yourself where that would be a solution that would be better than setting a proper level?

Just curious.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:47 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

To use the Sennheiser G2's successfully, you should set the "Sensitivity" on the transmitter and the AF out on the receiver.

These are very easy to do and once you get familar with it, it should take less than 45 seconds to do each.

These two settings are critical.

For example, the quality of your sound will be drastically reduced if you have the transmitter (mic) sensitivity too high or low.

The same applies to your AF Out setting.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:00 AM   #20
Major Player

Just to add my own numbers to this, I found that the following settings worked with my G2's and my MKE2-5 lavs:

SK100 Transmitter - Sensitivity:-10dB (this will vary by the loudness of your talker or audio source.....haven't tried setting it with a line level source yet!)

EK100 Receiver: AF Out: - 0dB

Again, these settings worked for me and gave me good solid levels into my Sony EX1. At that point, I let the Sony mangle the audio as little as possible.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:14 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Ty, with the default settings on the G2 and the Mic Att set it sounds very good. Might not be the ideal way. If you're asking me what situation might arise where I need to reset things and not have time to set levels correctly, I won't outline the trials and tribulations I haven encountered on the road shooting out-of-town weddings where I arrive at the last minute because of a pile up on the freeway, etc.

It's called shit can and does happen. It's good to have the skinny on every way to get the job done, and every tool in our arsenal is important. While I aim for perfection, I have accepted for the most part it is impossible. You are right of course, setting the leves correctly is the best way.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Just to add my own numbers to this, I found that the following settings worked with my G2's and my MKE2-5 lavs:

SK100 Transmitter - Sensitivity:-10dB (this will vary by the loudness of your talker or audio source.....haven't tried setting it with a line level source yet!)

EK100 Receiver: AF Out: - 0dB

Again, these settings worked for me and gave me good solid levels into my Sony EX1. At that point, I let the Sony mangle the audio as little as possible.
Those settings are the same as mine, Dave! Still too hot. Those are the default settings, aren't they?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

May I recommend the following:

1. Set the Transmitter Sensitivity to the proper level for your average speaker. Take into consideration that the higher the sensitivity, the more ambient noise you will be getting.

When you have a loud or soft speaker, adjust accordingly.

2. Set the Receiver AF Out to match your camera's input level requirements.

3. Avoid using the Reset button on the units. You settings will remain, even if you take out the batteries
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM   #24
Inner Circle

OK, Dave. I'm leaving for awhile, but when I return to the studio I will set it up. Thanks for the wealth of information. Good not to be alone with a new piece of equipment. good to know setting will remain, that I didn't know and was worried about.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Well, I set did set volume levels as recommended. Sensitivity is at -10 and AF out is at -18. Seems really low, except the meters look great across the board and it sounds fine. Do these settings seem unusually low to you guys?

At any rate, it seems to be working very well, and I thank all for your guidance. Nice little kit, and the mic, while certainly not world class, is certainly adequate for now.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

The -10dB Sensitivity is fine (and normal).

I do not remember my AF Out setting. -18 dB is fine.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Appreciate the reassurance, Dan.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Jeff,

The -10dB Sensitivity is fine (and normal).

I do not remember my AF Out setting. -18 dB is fine.
For my Sony PD-170 I use -10dB setting on the G2 transmitter for soft speakers and -20dB for normal and loud ones. For the receiver AF Out I use
-12dB at all times (no mic ATT, just normal...)
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Others have recommended -12 dB AF Out as well.

If -18 dB AF Out works for you and your camera, it is ok.

You could try -12 dB and see if it works for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio