G2 100 feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Inner Circle

G2 100 feedback

I'm using a new G2 100 on my PD series sony cam and getting terrible feedback but only when the headphones are plugged in. Any thoughts? I'm using the stock mic that cam with it. I'm using the mini to xlr adapter.

When I run the cam without the headphones the feedback disappears. I know this because I captured directly to my editing programs and the sound was fine. (fine as it can be with the sucky mic that comes with this unit. Poor excuse for a mic, I must say).
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Is it possible that the headphones are loud enough that the lav is hearing them? That seems to be what you're saying...

If so:
Turn down the cans.
Get closed-ear headphones.
Get the cans further from the mic.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Seth. There is no volume control on the headset, unfortunately. Suppose I need to get new ones. It's so disappointing that my 4 year old wireless has never given me any similar issues and sounds so much nicer. Bummer. Nothing is ever as simple as I expect it to be.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

This is very curious.

Where is the microphone (ME2 lavaliere I presume) in relation to your headphones? How far from the camera is the lavaliere?

What brand of headphones are you using?

Are these "open" headphones?

I assume that these are not wireless headphones.

Can't you turn down the volume of the headphones on the camera?

Are you wearing these headphones, so that both cups are over your ears?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have another questions about this unit if anyone has experience with it. My old unit works great still, and is super quiet. I've never used any other prior to this Sennheiser. The hiss and background noise with this unit out-of-the-box is horrible. Is that normal? Or is it just the cheap mic?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

No, the hiss and noise is not normal.

How far is the transmitter from the receiver?

Have your found a clear (open) channel so that you are not getting interference.

What Band (A, B, or C) are you using?

Where are you located?

What frequency are you using?

You should get just a little hiss, even with the supplied ME2 lavaliere.

Have you set the sensitivity on the transmitter? Setting this to -10db or -20db may help you in this situation.

The Sennheisers can be used for professional gigs, they are not junk, and they are not so noisy that you hear "a lot of hiss and noise".

The Sennheisers can be improved upon by using a better lavaliere, but your problems seem to go far beyond that.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm checking the settings Dan. I also might be using the wrong settings on the camera audio, I'll check back in, thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Problem solved. The issue was not with the mic itself. The problem was that the Sennheiser requires the audio selector switch on the cam to be set on the "Mic Att" setting rather than just the mic setting. This was not the case for my older unit. Apparently the newer unit is much more sensitive.

Thank you for your attempts to troubleshoot with me!

In the process I did learn the menu, and after this bumpy start I feel confident in the product and how to operate it as a result of having to play with it for awhile!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Major Player

You also might want to be sure that you aren't running the "AF Out" level too high. You shouldn't have to engage the camera's Attenuate control unless you are sending a very high level of audio out of the Senn's receiver.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:04 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I'll check it, Dave. I didn't think I should have to, but when it seemed to solve the problem I was so relieved. Everything is set to factory settings, but I'll check it as you suggest.

Thanks for the tip!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:53 AM   #11
Major Player

Actually Jeff, your way of doing it would probably be faster because you wouldn't have to get into the menu of the G2 as often. I'm fairly new to the G2's myself so I spend WAY too much time in those menus. However, since I always do a "Reset" and then a "Scan" for open freqs, I usually check my output level while I'm in there? I also have to make sure that both of my G2's are set the same as I record with two units fairly often.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:02 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dave, when you say my way might be faster, are you referring to my setting the mic att on the cam rather than setting the af out?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

The best way of using the Sennheiser G2 wireless receivers is to set the AF Out, in the menu, to match your camera's input level requirements.

Yes, you can use Mic Att on your camera, but you should only have to set the AF Out level one time, unless you switch cameras or switch from mic to line or back.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM   #14
Inner Circle

That does make sense, I'll try that this morning. Thank you
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:19 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Dave, when you say my way might be faster, are you referring to my setting the mic att on the cam rather than setting the af out?
Yes, that's what I meant, but it's better if you actually try to match the levels instead of merely inserting a "pad" by engaging the Attenuation switch. For instance, I bought a pair of Sennheiser MKE2-5 mics to replace the ME2's that came with my G2's. They don't have the same level settings as the ME2's so I have to go into the menus to adjust. I usually do a Reset just to make sure that I have cleared out any leftover settings but I might eventually quit doing that once I'm sure that the Senns will keep my desired settings between uses. Just my paranoia I guess.

Trying to match my G2's to my Sony EX1 has been a chore, but you really need to start practicing good "gain staging" as this is the best way to avoid getting noisy or hissy audio. That means getting a good, hot level coming out of the mic into the transmitter, adjusting the output of the receiver via the AF Out so that you are feeding a strong signal into your camera and, in my case, getting the proper input sensitivity set in my Audio menu and, finally, setting the trim levels on the outside of the camera. Four different places to screw up your audio!!! ;-)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio