AT lav question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

AT lav question

One of mounts that came with the AT899cw lav seems to be made to accommodate two mics. Is this intended for noise resistance or something? (Two cardiods, one facing up and one facing down, in inverse phase with each other?) If I use the caps that also came with the mic, would it make the AT899 directional enough to do this with? Or would I need two actual cardiod mics, like say the AT898cW?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
One of mounts that came with the AT899cw lav seems to be made to accommodate two mics. Is this intended for noise resistance or something? (Two cardiods, one facing up and one facing down, in inverse phase with each other?) If I use the caps that also came with the mic, would it make the AT899 directional enough to do this with? Or would I need two actual cardiod mics, like say the AT898cW?
I would assume that one mic is a backup. Networks like to have a backup for live satelite feeds...and I suppose if one transmitter goes on the fritz...they just bring up the second lav.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the same holders with my AT1800 series kit. The double mic holders are for backup in live transmission. take a look at a live TV show - mostly the main presenter will be double miced - Sports pundits and newsreaders etc. I think using the 2 mics at the same time could cause phasing problems - they only use the second one if the first one fails!

Hope this helps
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio