DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   AT 1800 wireless - subtle noise when switching receivers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/122778-1800-wireless-subtle-noise-when-switching-receivers.html)

Phil Bambridge May 30th, 2008 09:18 PM

AT 1800 wireless - subtle noise when switching receivers

Has anyone who has the Audio Technical 1800 series receiver (I have the dual-channel one, but assume it's going to affect the single channel model too) noticed a subtle noise, a muted pop of perhaps a fifth of a second in duration, when the system is made to leap to the other receiver?

Say I'm recording on just one channel, and the transmitter and/or receiver move in such a way that it detects the other receiver is getting a better signal, and switches over- that's when the noise occurs. If I'm within about 5 metres, I am able to replicate it over and over again by rotating the receiver away- you see the LED marked 1 next to, say, the aerial on the left hand side, switch off, and the LED marked 1 next to the right hand aerial come on.

If no-one recognises this problem, I'll see if I can't rustle up a recording.

Don Bloom May 31st, 2008 06:04 AM

Phil,
I too use the AT1800 dual and have to say that no, I've never heard any noise when I switch from 1 receiver to the other. For weddings (as an example) I have 1 mic on the lectern and 1 on the groom. I have them set so the lectern mic is on first and leave the grooms mic off until the officant starts talking. I then switch the receiver to BOTH. Now that both mics are running I may or may not switch off the grroms mic (#2) during the ceremony depending on the "commentary" from him and the bride. Anyway the point is I've never had a popping noise or any other kind of noise when I switch the mics on or off at the receiver.

Don

Jimmy Tuffrey May 31st, 2008 11:41 AM

Phil I assume you are referring to a slight glitch when the rx switches diversity channels. It used to be quite obvious once you noticed it on some of the Beyer (re-badged Trantec S5000) stuff.
Even after Beyer serviced it.

You get what you pay for with radios. Is it very loud or just annoying because you are aware of it?

Phil Bambridge May 31st, 2008 06:58 PM

I should import it into an analyzer and measure it properly.

I became aware of it using the DPA 4061 mic, in a quiet room, so the spurious noise was only competing with very mild room tone. Against dialogue, I doubt it'd show its head. Of course, once you notice it, it's always there. I was out in the country lanes near my house, doing some walk-and-talk with the wireless and the Indicam Pilot sled, and I'd be lieing if I said I noticed.

Ty Ford June 1st, 2008 06:30 AM

Hello Phil,

Because I'm aware such things can happen, i listened for it her in the quiet of my recording studio when i reviewed the system last year and didn't hear it.

I have heard that (on other systems) you can sometimes hear this sort of thing when the tx and rx are at their maximum range, but you said 4-5 meters.

I'd say it's either a unit in need of a tweek or there's something else in your environment that's causing the problem.

Regards,

Ty Ford