Wireless -vs- Shotgun for outdoors Interviews - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 27th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

That's the scary thing. The trimpot on the transmitter is at maximum.

I did place the mic on the shoulderof the talent thinking that an omni should pick on that fine but, perhaps it needed to be closer to the mouth. This is my current theory.

GL
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Well, <blush> mic placement was the problem. I really did not get a good feel for the mic before going out with it so, my bad there. Once I tried it centered underneath the mouth it was a whole new sound (off to the side an inch or so).

GL
Old July 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #18
Wrangler

Ah, understand. The standard method for properly placing a lav microphone is to have the person being mic'd widely extend a hand (splay the fingers out. Then with thumb or tip of the little finger touching the lips while looking straight ahead, the opposite digit, thumb or little finger tip touches the chest. That's where the microphone should be placed.

If the microphone is moved up or down from that location, the sound changes (not just the volume).

If you move the microphone off-axis (centerline on the body) then you run the risk that as they speaker turns their head left or right, you will get an unequal change in volume.

You notice newscasters wear their lavs on one side or the other but they are trained to look straight ahead so the sound really doesn't change all that much.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio