Camera Hop Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Hop Questions

Hi all.
I've been asked to do a cooking show and the director wants to go wireless to camera for the busy kitchen scene. I have a 302 mixer and lectro 195 and 200 systems. Up till now I've only used the them with lavs.
Should I use a cable like this to go from the tape out?:
http://www.trewaudio.com/store/produ...9&cat=0&page=1

Or should I use this from line out:
http://www.trewaudio.com/store/produ...&cat=25&page=1

I'm also wondering about how the transmitter will take a line level signal? Should I be thinking about padding it down to mic level?

Cheers from a somewhat spring-like Halifax
Jon Goodman
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wireless... that's the buzz word.

The Tape Out on 302 is -15 so will probably be fine, like a consumer line level.

The Main XLR outs would work too, but you might have to pad them down in the 302 menu.

I'd say, if you are using a backup recorder, what's the best way to hook that up to your 302, and the left over would go to hop.

Other than that......it's up to you.
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Trustee

lectro units are designed for this. there are two cables that are XLR -> TA5. one is line level, the other is mic level. basically its just a different connection of the hot on the TA5. get two Line Level XLR -> TA5's and you will be good sending line level out... or you could do mic level if you prefer as those cables will be more useful after the shoot to use on XLR mics.

you may prefer to power the transmitters on their own batteries instead of bag power due to problems with ground loops in the common power lines. lectro sells power isolators for this purpose.

another thought - rent a zaxcom stereo setup that will also give you return audio AND records in the transmitter.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Trustee

You also want to add a wireless return from the camera to your headphones so you can hear a return on what the camera is receiving. Lectrosonics has some relatively inexpensive ones which many rental companies have. The output from the headphone jack will need a special cable most likely to make it work. The Zaxcom is a good idea but a big investment. I think a similar or lower cost but better investment is the Sound Devices 2 or 4 channel record harddrive so you can record direct from the mixer as back up maybe with iso's while sending the feed to the camera.
As for the cables from the mixer to the transmitter you should check out whether the line level cable is enough by itself or whether you need a pad to get the correct level for the transmitter or try the mic level cables as Steve suggested.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
...I'm also wondering about how the transmitter will take a line level signal? Should I be thinking about padding it down to mic level?
I've never had good results sending line level through wireless transmitters. I've tried Lectro and Audio Limited. I wanted Line level to sound better...but, it sucketh.

If the director insists on a wireless send then you got to give it to him. Just explain the risks of NOT being able to clearly monitor what's going to tape.

And it would be a good time to add a 24 bit recorder to your 302 bag for a backup and an upgrade at the same time.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boda View Post
I've never had good results sending line level through wireless transmitters. I've tried Lectro and Audio Limited. I wanted Line level to sound better...but, it sucketh.
The only wireless hop I would use is the Zaxcom TRX900 Stereo. I sounds line a wired line and can and does work both with line level or mic level without a problem. Of course then there is the $4K for the system...

Wayne
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Trustee

Well just to give a different perspective I have done whole shows with wireless hops without back up in NY and managed to do them without the Zaxcom (although it did work pretty well for a documentary I used it on) using Lectrosonics but it is great if you can record a back up for peace of mind. Of course the 4K is spent one way or the other but the flexibility of Two systems sometimes outweighs the compactness of the Zaxcom.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
If I may folks: I've never heard the term "wireless hop". Would anyone care to take the time to explain?

Is this a director's audio feed from the audio tech's mixer or...
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

the hop is from the mixer to the camera. audio OUT of the mixer, into transmitter(s), HOPS to the camera receivers and is recorded there. it replaces cables between the mixer and the camera.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Thanks, Brian. Done that a couple hundred times but never knew that's what it was called. Appreciated.
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
lectro units are designed for this. there are two cables that are XLR -> TA5. one is line level, the other is mic level. basically its just a different connection of the hot on the TA5. get two Line Level XLR -> TA5's and you will be good sending line level out... or you could do mic level if you prefer as those cables will be more useful after the shoot to use on XLR mics.
I'm a bit confused about the difference between the two cables. Does the mic level cable have a built in pad to bring the line level down to mic level?

Jon
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Trustee

no the cable is straight. the lectro rx has a padded pin in it. so the hot in the cable goes from the normal mic hot to the padded line level pin. go to lectro's site and they have the wiring for it. I'm surprised no one has made a switching cable.. but then again, why buy one universal cable when you can have 2 :/
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve. 2 mic level cables it is then. I suppose I could adjust the output gain to mic level in the menu.
Cheers
Jon
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio