DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   upward mobility (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/123151-upward-mobility.html)

Brian David Melnyk June 6th, 2008 01:59 AM

upward mobility

I'm looking into a mobile recording interface. My studio is based around a Digi 002 rack, so i was naturally thinking of getting a Mbox2 pro firewire. BUT, as i already have the pro tools program and would like nicer sounding preamps (the pres in the 002 are mediocre at best... dreaming of Black Lion mod...), i'm looking at Focusrite Saffire also.
Any suggestions on a nice sounding, portable interface for pro tools on a macbook pro? the key, as always, is the best sounding unit at the best price..
(mbox would be $700+, Focusrite $400)
Experience with Saffire?

Mark Keck June 7th, 2008 07:20 AM

I too would be interested in opinions on the focusrite saffire... searching DVI comes up empty.

Alexandru Petrescu June 7th, 2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 889015)
I'm looking into a mobile recording interface. My studio is based around a Digi 002 rack, so i was naturally thinking of getting a Mbox2 pro firewire. BUT, as i already have the pro tools program and would like nicer sounding preamps (the pres in the 002 are mediocre at best... dreaming of Black Lion mod...), i'm looking at Focusrite Saffire also.
Any suggestions on a nice sounding, portable interface for pro tools on a macbook pro? the key, as always, is the best sounding unit at the best price..
Experience with Saffire?

I'm using the motu ultralite, inputs: 2mic preamps (average quality, people say - I don't know) 6 instrument, 1 spdif, midi and firewire. I'm using it for theatre, which sometimes includes music, and I'm very happy with it. I use it with a pc although it's built for mac style.

Alexandru Petrescu June 7th, 2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 889015)
Experience with Saffire?

And why 'upward' mobility? IS there some downward mobility?

Brian David Melnyk June 8th, 2008 03:56 AM

'Downward mobility' would be purchasing a mobile recording interface that sounds worse than the one i use in my studio. or moving to the south pole. or both.

Jeffery Magat June 8th, 2008 08:37 AM

Uhhh.. you need Pro Tools hardware to run Pro Tools software.

Chris Swanberg June 8th, 2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 889828)
'Downward mobility' would be purchasing a mobile recording interface that sounds worse than the one i use in my studio. or moving to the south pole. or both.

That made my day.... thanks for the smile!

Brian David Melnyk June 8th, 2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffery Magat (Post 889871)
Uhhh.. you need Pro Tools hardware to run Pro Tools software.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!! AAAAHHHRRRGGG!!!!