upward mobility at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg Canada
Posts: 532
upward mobility

I'm looking into a mobile recording interface. My studio is based around a Digi 002 rack, so i was naturally thinking of getting a Mbox2 pro firewire. BUT, as i already have the pro tools program and would like nicer sounding preamps (the pres in the 002 are mediocre at best... dreaming of Black Lion mod...), i'm looking at Focusrite Saffire also.
Any suggestions on a nice sounding, portable interface for pro tools on a macbook pro? the key, as always, is the best sounding unit at the best price..
(mbox would be $700+, Focusrite $400)
Experience with Saffire?
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 123
I too would be interested in opinions on the focusrite saffire... searching DVI comes up empty.
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
I'm looking into a mobile recording interface. My studio is based around a Digi 002 rack, so i was naturally thinking of getting a Mbox2 pro firewire. BUT, as i already have the pro tools program and would like nicer sounding preamps (the pres in the 002 are mediocre at best... dreaming of Black Lion mod...), i'm looking at Focusrite Saffire also.
Any suggestions on a nice sounding, portable interface for pro tools on a macbook pro? the key, as always, is the best sounding unit at the best price..
(mbox would be $700+, Focusrite $400)
Experience with Saffire?
I'm using the motu ultralite, inputs: 2mic preamps (average quality, people say - I don't know) 6 instrument, 1 spdif, midi and firewire. I'm using it for theatre, which sometimes includes music, and I'm very happy with it. I use it with a pc although it's built for mac style.
Alexandru Petrescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
I'm looking into a mobile recording interface. My studio is based around a Digi 002 rack, so i was naturally thinking of getting a Mbox2 pro firewire. BUT, as i already have the pro tools program and would like nicer sounding preamps (the pres in the 002 are mediocre at best... dreaming of Black Lion mod...), i'm looking at Focusrite Saffire also.
Any suggestions on a nice sounding, portable interface for pro tools on a macbook pro? the key, as always, is the best sounding unit at the best price..
(mbox would be $700+, Focusrite $400)
Experience with Saffire?
And why 'upward' mobility? IS there some downward mobility?
Alexandru Petrescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg Canada
Posts: 532
'Downward mobility' would be purchasing a mobile recording interface that sounds worse than the one i use in my studio. or moving to the south pole. or both.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 186
Uhhh.. you need Pro Tools hardware to run Pro Tools software.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
'Downward mobility' would be purchasing a mobile recording interface that sounds worse than the one i use in my studio. or moving to the south pole. or both.

That made my day.... thanks for the smile!
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg Canada
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery Magat View Post
Uhhh.. you need Pro Tools hardware to run Pro Tools software.
NOOOOOOO!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!! AAAAHHHRRRGGG!!!!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network