DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   NTG-1 vs. NTG-3 vs. AT897 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/123540-ntg-1-vs-ntg-3-vs-at897.html)

Scott Gold June 11th, 2008 02:32 PM

NTG-1 vs. NTG-3 vs. AT897

OK, I've looked at over 9,000,000,000,000,000 post and I'm still confused on what microphone to buy.
I have a XH-A1 and currently shoot corporate events. Hopefully soon I'll be shooting shoe-string-budget short films. I have a heard good things about the NTG-1 and AT897 microphones and love the price, but I'm wondering if it might make sense to wait and increase my budget for the NTG-3.

I'm assuming the NTG-3 alone to be around $600 bucks and I was wondering if my money would be better spent on the NTG-1 or AT897 and also get some accessories like a boom pole, windscreen, cables, etc.

So what's your vote? Should I go the NTG-1 or AT897 route with accessories and money left over. Or should I go the NTG-3 route and spend closer to $900 when all the accessories have been purchased.

By the way, does anyone have any hands on experience with the NTG-1 and the AT897? I'd love to hear a comparison from users.

Thanks!

Gareth Watkins June 11th, 2008 02:51 PM

Hi Scott

I have both the AT897 and the NTG2 (same basic mic as the NTG1)... My take on them...

Build quality is better on the AT, nicer finish, everything more polished..ie the screw thread is smoother. small details...

Sound wise the Rode is hotter, so I find better on a boom... it gives excellent results in this way.. better than the AT.. I found on a boom I was for ever having to increase the audio in post with the AT, but it did have a nicer tone...

The AT I find is better on camera... in situations when I want just ambient audio.. it has less handling noise too when used in a shock mount on camera. It is my basic on camera mic now with a Sony Z1. The Rode is my Boom mic...

Regards
Gareth

Scott Gold June 11th, 2008 03:02 PM

Very helpful info, thanks for the reply.

Keep it coming folks, this forum is great!

Jack Walker June 11th, 2008 05:55 PM

I recently bought the Audio Technica 875R. It is very nice and sounds good. I think it is more veratile than the other mics because of it's small size. It works well on both the camera and on a boom:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Shotgun.html

This mic received a good evaluation in the recent review of several shotguns here.

It requires phantom power and will not run on a battery.

It is also cheaper than the other two mics you mention.

Scott Gold June 12th, 2008 09:25 AM

So what do you guys think? NTG-1 or AT897 or wait for the more expensive NTG-3?

Scott Delish June 12th, 2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Gold (Post 891978)

I just got the audio technica at 897 and I must say it's great! Very fun, sounds great. I have no experience with the ntg 2 though.

Scott Gold June 12th, 2008 01:15 PM

OK so I've narrowed things down. I've been looking at some of these kits and I think I'll go with the NTG-2 or the AT897.

Check out the kits:

NTG-2: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html FOR: $599

AT897: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html FOR $599

What would you pick? It's the same kit for both so it's a choice between the NTG-2 or the AT897.

I'm wondering if I'll ever need the battery backup on the NTG-2 and AT897. Would I be better off with the NTG-1 and save some length and weight?

Thanks!

Robert Huber June 12th, 2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Gold (Post 891978)

I am not what you would call a sound pro, and I don't have the AT897, but I use the NTG-2 (which is the same as the NTG-1 from an audio perspective), and I like it for the price. It does suffer a bit from handling noise, but I usually use it on a stand for sit-down shoots. The NTG-3 is not the same as the 1 & 2 though. The NTG-3 is a step up: better engineered, much lower handling noise, extremely resistant to moisture/elements, etc, and although I haven't used it... I hear it sounds quite good. I can't say whether the additional cost is right for you, but I know I will be giving it a close look.

Scott Gold June 12th, 2008 10:41 PM

Dang, this is a hard choice. I wonder which one has less handling noise? Any other opinions?

Brandon Paschal March 14th, 2010 08:49 PM

Which direction did you go ???

Scott,

I have an NTG-1 from a while ago. I used it typically with my XH-A1 but now have just stepped into trying the HDSLRs. The G2 continues to be great, but I think I, like you, am probably going to do more booming.

Did you end up with an actual verdict? Do you think my NTG-1 will do the trick for a while?

Thanks ...

Scott Gold March 14th, 2010 09:01 PM

I ended up buying the AT897. Super happy, no problems. Either the AT897 or the NTG-2 would have been a great choice. The NTG-3 I hear is superub.

If I'm correct I think the NTG-1 is phantom only so you will have to have some sort of a power supply running the mic on your HD DSLR. The NTG-2 and the AT897 can run either phantom or internal AA battery.

Good luck!

Chris Barcellos March 14th, 2010 11:16 PM

I just won an NTG -3 in the DVC/UWOL challenge from Guy Cochran and DVCreators.net, and I tried it briefly for the first time just the other day. I was amazed at how different and sweeter ths sound seemed to be compared to my NTG 2 or my Sennheiser ME66. This piece from vimeo is not even done with care, but you will get a feel for the mic.

Guy Cochran March 15th, 2010 01:15 PM

Hey Chris,

I'm glad to see that the prizes all arrived safe and sound! Thanks for making the video too.

Brandon,

The RODE NTG-3 and the Sennheiser MKH-416 sound very, very similar, yet the cost is dramatically lower on the RODE unit. I have a sample of the 416 compared directly to the 897. So, if you'd like to hear the AT-897, the 416, and the NTG-1 (which sounds like the NTG-2), I have them all in the same environment fed directly into a camera in a studio in these examples.

DVeStore’s Shotgun Shootout at DVcreators.net

The 416 has a slightly tighter pattern, which you can see here

The AT875r at the price is a very good contender. It boils down to how much you want to spend and how you'll be using the mic. If it's just going on the camera, then go cheap. If you'll be using a boom op, consider adding a mixer too. I'd rather have something like a SignVideo ENG44 mixer, wind protection and a decent shotgun rather than just a pricey shotgun by itself. The mixer, may or may not make your mic sound better, but at least you'll be able to control the levels properly which will result in a better track in varying situations.

This is the 416 as well...

Brandon Paschal March 16th, 2010 06:57 PM

So the NTG-1 May Suffice?!?

Scott/Chris/Guy ...

I appreciate the insight, links, and video. I actually have the NTG-1 (purchased from the DVeStore I might add - thanks Guy :), and I think I'll give it a go. I have the Zoom H4n so the phantom power there I think should allow me to at least be capable with that mic with regard to testing. I didn't know if there may be a certainty out there that suggests it might be inadequate and an upgrade to the NTG-3 was a must do ... it'd be nice to save the $600 and maybe pay attention to accessories!!

My application will be both on camera and stationary shoots (e.g., interviews/panels/indoor scenes).

Brandon Paschal August 25th, 2010 04:18 PM

Mixer ?

Guy/Scott ...

Though it's months later, I took a look at the ENG44 mixer and it looks as though it'd be a great compliment to any mic. My question is this ... would the ENG44 be a critical purchase if the Zoom H4N that I currently have has the capability of supplying phantom power - especially if I am looking right now at a single mic on camera (or on a stand)?

(I can certainly see the benefits with the second output for an operator).

Thanks!

--Brandon