2 hour presentation, 1 hour long tapes... complete audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1
New Boot

2 hour presentation, 1 hour long tapes... complete audio?

Hi there,

I'm shooting a 2 hour presentation with two cameras next week. I'm trying to figure out the best way to capture the audio for the presentation when I'll inevitably have to swap out my 60 minute DV tapes mid-way through. I have only one wireless transmitter/receiver set up so if that runs to my main camera, when i swap the tape, i'll only have the second camera's audio which won't be as good.

Is a solution to plug my wireless receiver into a digital audio recorder (that i don't have yet). Or are there other practices that you'd recommend?

Basically just trying to figure out how people normally capture audio when they're shooting non-stop audio that goes over 60 minutes.

thanks for your help!

max
Max Fancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Trustee

I have a sony d-50 recorder and with the internal 4gig memory I can get nearly 6 hours of 48k 16-bit audio. I just leave it running and then edit it later.
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Gary. When using an audio recorder is it fairly straightforward if you need to connect a wireless receiver to it, or if you want to tap into a soundboard? how steep is the learning curve for someone who might buy/rent one for an impending shoot?

max
Max Fancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Trustee

Its real simple to use and the only drawback is it only has small jack inputs and outputs, as for operation the menu system is easy and you can just place it into record and the hold button will lock out any key mistakes. The inbuilt mic amps are superb and the limiter is also very good.
I mainly use it with an ENG-44 mixer and have a sony UHF diversity radio mic to link the sound from the mixer to the camera with the d-50 as a back-up recorder which is always running.
An option for you is to do the opposite as you say and it will be real easy to hook up a sennheiser g2 type radio system to the inputs as the jacks are the same.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Max,

With your two cameras, I assume you'll change tapes at different times so that at any given time you have at least one picture? Then you could rent a second wireless receiver (identical to the one you already have), tune it to the same frequency as the first one, and feed the same audio into both cameras.

Using a good separate recorder can probably give you better audio quality, but it's more convenient to have the sound captured right with the video, already synchronized.

- Martin
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

"tune it to the same frequency as the first one"

Martin, are you sure this will work?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

you can set 1 transmitter to a freq and set multiple receivers to that freq. I've done it many times and it's worked fine.

Multiple transmitters to the same freq and 1 is a no no. (2 receivers to 2 different cameras)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

And of course, if you have access to a laptop with firewire and a big enough (approx 13Gb required per-hour) hard drive, you could capture from your camera to that- I'd still use tapes, just in case, but you also get the benefit of being able to transfer to your editing machine quicker than real time, at the end of it.
Phil Bambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bambridge View Post
And of course, if you have access to a laptop with firewire and a big enough (approx 13Gb required per-hour) hard drive, ...
If you are shooting DV, a variation on this is to get an old "Barbie Doll" Macintosh iBook that they designed for kids. It's a very rugged laptop with a convenient handle. Some models (333Mhz or better) have Firewire 400 and will capture DV video.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1772

Think of it as a single purpose "appliance" in your equipment for capturing tape change footage. You don't necessarily have to capture everything and need a big hard drive. Rather, you just need to capture during the tape change. You can also move it to camera 2 for when it's tape change happens.

When back at the ranch, you can use a USB memory stick or hook up the iBook (using Firewire) to any other Mac and start up holding the T key down (called Target Disk Mode). The iBook will show up as a Firewire drive. If you are a Windows shop, then it's USB memory stick or ethernet file transfer time.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Fred Retread

If you are running both cameras from the same position, one wide and one close up as I sometimes do, you might run the receiver into one camera's input, then come out the headphone jack with a stereo cable and run that into the external mic input of the second camera then out of the second one's headphone jack to your phones. Leave both cams on when changing tapes. Just a thought if you want to take some time to decide on what recorder to buy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio