DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Headphones the way to go for monitoring audio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/12374-headphones-way-go-monitoring-audio.html)

Glen Elliott July 23rd, 2003 10:24 AM

Headphones the way to go for monitoring audio?

I edit in Vegas+DVD and monitor my audio via an Audigy card w/ a set of Klipsch Promedia 5.1s (only use it in stereo mode). I just started experimenting monitoring my audio via my studio headphones and was astonished with the results. Not only does it give me seclusion from room noises (barking dogs, air conditioner, etc) it allows me to hear every minor click, pop, or hiss in my recording. I've found it's way more accurate than listening through speakers.

Has anyone else noticed this? How many others use headphones to monitor audio in their NLE? What are your thoughts/opinion regarding the usage of speakers vs headphones?

Matt Stahley July 23rd, 2003 11:36 AM

I always use headphones(sony 7506) when i edit for the same reasons but as for a final mix i would suggest using a decent pair of reference monitors. Most headphones will increase bass/treble response etc. so what you hear in the phones may not translate the same on a stereo or TV.

Peter Jefferson July 26th, 2003 08:38 AM

most tvs have filter EQ's pre set which cuts the hiss from high end recordings, so most "noise" you hear wont be audible from a TV perspective, however for optimal audio, your goin about it the right way, however, as mentioned, i would use reference monitors as well...
you have a good monitoring set up there with the K's jsut make sure your actual PC EQ isnt set too high as the SBLives have a tendency to boost a little too much.. accuracy is what your after, and teh more stable your EQ is the better you will be.. you might think there is excessive background hiss, however it would most likely be SBLives EQ... it DOES generate noise...
try to keep yoru files as 48k as this card runs this bitrate natively.. and the less procesing the card does, the less noise and faster response you will get.

good stuff ;)

Glen Elliott July 26th, 2003 07:48 PM

Doesn't DV natively run at 48khz. Also regarding hiss, and noise created by the Klipsch- I guess a good way to determine that would be to run SoFo's noise reduction- if the hiss goes away it's obviously not from the Klipsch.

What's the best way to adjust my settings for accuracy. I mean I know you can adjust colors accurately using color bars as a reference- how is this done with audio?

Alex Knappenberger July 26th, 2003 07:53 PM

I agree, headphones are a nice, cheap solution. I use a decent pair of Koss headphones most of the time, they aren't $100+ Sony's, but they are decent. No headphones will beat a good pair of monitoring speakers and a correctly setup "studio", though.

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : What's the best way to adjust my settings for accuracy. I mean I know you can adjust colors accurately using color bars as a reference- how is this done with audio? -->>>

Well, i'm no pro sound engineer or anything, but unlike how callibrating your monitor with color bars, you can't do that with sound. You have to rely on your speakers to have a good flat frequency response (which sets consumer speakers apart from professional monitors), meaning they don't have too much low end, or too much high end, etc... Also, for best results, your editing room should have "padded walls" (I forget what the stuff is called) to reduce echoing.

Jake McMurray August 5th, 2003 01:21 AM

it all depends on your budget and what your mixing I'm guessing. For $800 a pair you might be able to get some Mackies or Genelecs for that even frequency response that is really required for reliable mixing.

I for one didn't have that kind of money. I ended up going with yorkville ysmpi for 200 a pair but have to be powered by an external amp. I'm using an older reciever. These monitors are ok for mixing. I mean they aren't like the Mackies or Genelecs or anything but they would be better than home theater, or normal computer speakers because at least the yorkvilles were designed for monitoring. I don't think they achieve that even response but you can't expect it at the price.

There is a plethora of passive studio monitors in the 200 a pair range. I've heard that generally the best two are the yorkvilles and the tannoy proto J.

Room placement can also affect frequency response. For example corner placement tends to emphasize bass.

It depends on your budget and what you depend on doing with what you are creating. If your project is destined for mass viewing, film festivals, competitions, broadcast etc...it might be better to just rent studio time for the final mix for your project.

Whatever you end up doing you can check your mix by playing it through a bunch of different systems.