New Rode NTG-3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Ty, do you have any comments on the NTG 3?
Will the price point be justified?
Did you get to test it?
Will you get one?

Thanks.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:53 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hello Pietro,

No I haven't heard it yet.

I've known Peter Freedman for six+ years. I have a lot of respect for him. He's very dedicated to getting things right and he's an innovator. He's very price sensitive. He understands the market.

I don't always agree with what some of his mics sound like, but that can be said of any mic.

I use his video mic dead cat over my schoeps cmc641 and B5D on outdoor shoots and it works very nicely. I have an NTG-1 and NTG-2 that I use for audience Q&A mics when I record meetings. I use an NT2a as a tom mic when recording music.

The Podcaster Mic with headphone jack on the mic is a simple but brilliant solution to USB latency.

The Video and SVM mics are great for low budget cameras looking to instantly improve their audio.

I've got a little omni (I forget the number) that I've used to quickly record a whole drum kit when placed properly. (The drummer was very surprised during playback.)

Will the NTG-3 be a 416 killer? I can't say. It shouldn't be any brighter than a 416. It shouldn't be any peakier than a 416. It shouldn't have more low end than a 416. It shouldn't be any noisier than a 416. We'll see. :)

I also have Neumann, Schoeps and Sennheiser mics and really like the AEA R84 ribbon mic that's visiting now.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:08 AM   #18
Major Player

I was very close to buying the AT4073a recently, but since this NTG-3 is coming out soon I thought there was a good reason to wait. I guess it's a safe bet to assume the NTG-3 will be better than the AT4073a since it's possibly even better than the MKH-416.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Over here B&H is about to launch several kits with the NT3. Looks like a copy of my "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" will be in one kit.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Looks like both kits will be including it.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
I was very close to buying the AT4073a recently, but since this NTG-3 is coming out soon I thought there was a good reason to wait. I guess it's a safe bet to assume the NTG-3 will be better than the AT4073a since it's possibly even better than the MKH-416.
Peter is very good a making his mics perform well at a price, but there's a big difference in price between the NTG-3 and a 416. Time will tell.

There's a huge user base of 416s. I have a 416 and an 816, though I rarely use the 816.

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. Have fun and let us know how it sounds soon.

Jigsaw24 (DVinfo's new UK sponser) have just told me thay have 5 on order and I should know by tomorrow an approx. ETA for this mic.
We now have 2 in stock having sold 3, including Andy's :)
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #22
Major Player

Well I just heard the Rode NTG-3 at the DV Shop here in Toronto and after hearing it I immediately purchased it.

If I knew a lot about audio, I would write a review...but I don't really know what I'm talking about from a technical standpoint, nor have I heard any mics like the MKH-416 to compare it to so you're best off waiting for Ty Ford's input.

All I compared it to was the Rode NTG-2 and the Sennheiser ME66 and obviously it blew them both away. They didn't have any higher end mics to compare to, but I was confident with what I was hearing that I wanted to buy it right away.

The pattern does seem to be wider than the other shotguns, but if this is similar to the MKH-416 that people are comfortable with then I have no concerns.

The only other mics I'll be able to compare it to tonight is the new AT4053a I just got, and my old Rode NT3 (both of which are obviously not shotguns, but I'm still curious).

Anyone have any idea what kind of shockmount I can use with this? There's not a lot of space at the back after I attach a Rycote Softie 14cm, and both the Audio Technica and Rode SM3 shockmounts are too far back for it to balance properly (even though Rode does recommend the SM3/4/5 accessories).
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Craig, you're lucky, you got one before the first production run of 5000 is gone.

At present I'm mounting it in the Audio-Technica AT8415 mount with stronger rubber bands but you're right there's only 3 1/2 inches space for a mount at the rear. With the SM3-4-5 you have to decide what it's going to attach to before getting one.

It's a great mic and going to make serious waves at $US699. Out of interest what serial number did you get?

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Craig, you're lucky, you got one before the first production run of 5000 is gone.
Great... what does that mean, though...I'm not sure. Is there something different if it's first production run?

I do feel lucky, yeah. Apparantly there's only 10 in Canada right now and the store had two of them. My serial number is 000253 and I just registered it for the 10 year warranty (amazing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
At present I'm mounting it in the Audio-Technica AT8415 mount with stronger rubber bands but you're right there's only 3 1/2 inches space for a mount at the rear. With the SM3-4-5 you have to decide what it's going to attach to before getting one.
I just tried it with my Rode SM5 and it seems manageable, but I was just using the supplied windshield, not a Softie.

I just compared it to the 4053a and they both sound great (they're both new mics to me I just got in the last couple days so I've been trying them both out). They're both great at what they do. Now all I need is an audio expert to tell me that I did the right thing choosing the NTG-3 over the AT4073a and I can relax :)

I was going to buy the Rycote Invision 7 but it doesn't seem like it'll fit my AT4053a (even though it's the same diameter as the AT4073a and that one is listed). I fired off an e-mail to them, hopefully they'll answer soon.
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Great... what does that mean, though...I'm not sure. Is there something different if it's first production run?.
No, no difference except the next availability might be a month or two away. Anticipating demand in some areas can be difficult.

Quote:
I do feel lucky, yeah. Apparantly there's only 10 in Canada right now and the store had two of them. My serial number is 000253 and I just registered it for the 10 year warranty (amazing).
I have serial 242. For anyone reading this who has registered for the 10year guarantees, go to RODE and check yours. When I registered my NTG-3 my other warranties had vanished. Might be something to do with their revamped site.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #26
Major Player

Actually looking into it further I think the Rode NTG-3 is only rated to work with the INV-7 if you adjust the bar from 70mm to 25mm (which effectively turns it into the INV-6). As I understand it, the INV-7 can be used in both those positions, so I really don't understand the reason for the INV-6 (or any reason that the NTG-3 wouldn't be on the compatibility list for it). If I've misunderstood and the bar only works in the "long" position of 70mm. Then I don't understand how they can recommend it for the NTG-3.

Their website says "INV-7 & INV-8 have both been designed for either boompole or static use. They have a long bar that allows the lyre webs to be mounted 70mm (as supplied) or 25mm apart."

In order for the NTG-3 to be used successfully it would have to be used at the position 25mm apart, like the INV-6 which is only 25mm. If the INV-7 is adjustable between two positions though, I'll grab that since it would mean being compatible with a far greater selection of microphones.

Is it that simple, or is there something I'm overlooking?
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #27
Major Player

NTG-3 & InVision Mount

Technically, all the accessories that fit the Sennheiser MKH-416 will fit the NTG-3 since the Size is pretty much identical.

That said the INV-7 at the 70mm position is the correct mount for the NTG-3 (See Shotgun Pictures at INV-7 Tab) and while according to Rycote you can change position, it is not at all practical to keep on changing them on the fly.

Also in your case that you are using it with a Softie, the INV Series mounts are not recommended by Rycote.

Instead you can get either the AT8415 mount or the Rycote Softie Mount (Small Hole) which is available in a few flavors.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. I don't have to use a Rycote Softie, I just figured that was the most popular one to use. I can get a Rode Deadcat if it'll be good enough.

I only measure 35mm from the end of the mic up until where the microphone opens up (I don't know what the technical term is that you would call it, grills?).

I guess they're saying it's okay to cover some of the side of the microphone with the suspension and it won't affect sound pickup/rejection noticeably?

Last edited by Craig Irving; July 9th, 2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
I only measure 35mm from the end of the mic up until where the microphone opens up (I don't know what the technical term is that you would call it).
Did you measure the NTG-3 or another mic :)

I measured this mic as well and it is just over 3.5" which means 88.89mm
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #30
Major Player

I thought I had to avoid covering the side where the microphone begins. The grills, or whatever. But I guess it's no big deal. I'm sure a little shock mount clip won't really affect pickup/rejection.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio