DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   capture "subtle shifts in feeling" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/123889-capture-subtle-shifts-feeling.html)

Evan Donn June 16th, 2008 01:13 PM

capture "subtle shifts in feeling"

...with the "Binaural Recording Mic from Otokinoko":

http://www.kilian-nakamura.com/catal...oko-p-259.html

It's nice to know that for nearly $4,000 you get a high quality 1/8" audio out.

Alan Dunlop-Walters June 16th, 2008 02:12 PM

Good grief

I wouldn't be caught dead with that stupid looking thing stuck on top of my camera. I try at all costs to avoid being laughed at.

With those looks and that price I would hope it would deliver absolute total perfection! (Read down: manual: Japanese.)

Gary Nattrass June 16th, 2008 03:43 PM

"Boy I got my head up my arse about stereo!!!!

Should have gone to stereo's and stuff and got a binaural bum mic to go with my sansuchi amp!!!

Jon Fairhurst June 16th, 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Dunlop-Walters (Post 894000)
I wouldn't be caught dead with that stupid looking thing stuck on top of my camera. I try at all costs to avoid being laughed at.

I read your post, thought about a quote stating that "British people spend their lives avoiding embarrassment", and sure enough, you are from the UK!

I guess we've identified at least one market that our friends at Otokinoko can cross off their list.

Personally, when I look at that microphone, I can't help but see Leonard Nimoy's face. ;)

Alan Dunlop-Walters June 17th, 2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 894159)
I read your post, thought about a quote stating that "British people spend their lives avoiding embarrassment", and sure enough, you are from the UK!

I guess we've identified at least one market that our friends at Otokinoko can cross off their list.

Personally, when I look at that microphone, I can't help but see Leonard Nimoy's face. ;)

Hmm, unlike our friends from across the pond, who appear to spend their lives courting it - loudly? But let's avoid anything but well-meant humour (I suppose you'd say humor) here.

So tell me - would you want Mr Spock staring out from your cold shoe? No, I thought not. Illogical, Jim. Beam me up.

Colin McDonald June 17th, 2008 12:03 PM

Hey, maybe there's a niche market here for ridiculous accessories to stick in your hotshoe. How about a diversity aerial for your wireless lav in the shape of viking horns or pair of antlers?

I'm just glad that daft Spock ear thing is blue because if it was made in pink latex, it really would be embarrassing whatever nationality you were.

Jon Fairhurst June 17th, 2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Dunlop-Walters (Post 894472)
But let's avoid anything but well-meant humour (I suppose you'd say humor) here.

Certainly!. I think the quote about British embarrassment was from John Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda. A colourful and humourous film to be sure, though presumably lacking in "subtle shifts in feeling".

Come to think of it, this mic would be perfect for comedies. In fact, I'd love to use it as a handheld for on-screen interviews! Bring on Borat II...

Alan Dunlop-Walters June 17th, 2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 894520)
Certainly!. I think the quote about British embarrassment was from John Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda. A colourful and humourous film to be sure, though presumably lacking in "subtle shifts in feeling".

Come to think of it, this mic would be perfect for comedies. In fact, I'd love to use it as a handheld for on-screen interviews! Bring on Borat II...

Subtle shifts in feeling? Ah, as seen in the Jackass movies, with all their delicate hidden undertones and dramatic nuances?

Yes Jon, I can picture this mic perfectly, hand-held. Perhaps in Jackass III?

Martin Pauly June 19th, 2008 12:35 PM

Does this mic fit in a standard shockmount so I can mount it on my boom pole? I would hate to give up the important rule of getting the mic close to the sound source while capturing the "subtle shifts in feeling".

- Martin

Pietro Impagliazzo June 19th, 2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pauly (Post 895657)
Does this mic fit in a standard shockmount so I can mount it on my boom pole? I would hate to give up the important rule of getting the mic close to the sound source while capturing the "subtle shifts in feeling".

- Martin

You'd scare the hell outta of the people being filmed with some flying ears above their heads.

Sacha Rosen June 19th, 2008 04:22 PM

They should also make a Lav, maybe just one ear clipped to your tie

Colin McDonald June 19th, 2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha Rosen (Post 895749)
They should also make a Lav, maybe just one ear clipped to your tie

You could market it as the "van Gogh" model.

Abe Dolinger June 19th, 2008 07:21 PM

The only way this would look cooler is with wind protection. Maybe they could make some little furry earmuffs for it.

Jon Fairhurst June 20th, 2008 10:54 AM

Do they supply Q-tips as cleaning tools?

Alec Moreno June 21st, 2008 07:01 PM

I would paint a little face on it to go with the ears.