Need help - Using Edirol R-4 Pro as Master Timecode generator at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Need help - Using Edirol R-4 Pro as Master Timecode generator

So I am in need of some help.

I’ll be doing a shoot this weekend where we will be capturing the uncompressed HD-SDI from the Canon XL H1 to an AJA IO HD box connected to a Macbook Pro. I’ll be shooting sound with the Edirol R-4 Pro. We’ll be shooting 24F (which will have a 3:2 pulldown to conform it to 60i upond HD-SDI output).

To sync it all together, I would like to make the Edirol R-4 Pro the timecode master and connect its LTC output to the LTC in of the AJA IO HD. So therefore, the video coming from the XL H1 should be recorded with the timecode from the R-4 Pro. I will set the R-4 Pro to 29.97D timecode.

What is the process of making the R-4 Pro the Master? Is it just a matter of connecting a BNC cable to the LTC out of the recorder and into the AJA IO HD? What do I set the timecode of the R-4 Pro to? I’ve only used the unit as a slave device (setting it to EXT), never as the master.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Trustee

why not simply feed audio at line level from mixer to the IO HD and do it as single source recording. it will save a lot of time in post. any difference in recording to the r-44 vs the IO HD will be minscule and not worth the extra effort for syncing after the fact. FCP doesn't have any auto-sync feature so it will be full manual to do so... and might as well just clap it because it will be faster. in theory feeding TC into the IO should be ok provided the R-44 has stable TC. might be easier / safer to feed TC from the camera to r-44 and IO HD, then there will be no question.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio