DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode NTG-2 Screw Warning (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/124184-rode-ntg-2-screw-warning.html)

Matt OBrien June 20th, 2008 03:02 PM

Rode NTG-2 Screw Warning

Hey guys, thought I would just warn you all about the NTG-2, and I assume other Rode Shotgun Microphones' tendency to lose screws. I have found that the three very small, eye glasses like, screws surrounding the mic shaft in a triangular pattern have over the course of a couple months of use, worked themselves loose and fallen out. I have applied thread locker to the one screw I have remaining and am searching for replacements for the two lost screws.

So if you're using a Rode mic, beware of the screws. This is my only gripe about an otherwise superb product.

Cheers

Howard Harrelson June 20th, 2008 03:05 PM

re: Rode NTG-2 warning

Good Tip. Thanks! I'll look for those on my Rode, loosen them a bit and apply clear fingernail polish (which works as well as locktite).

Allan Black June 27th, 2008 06:15 AM

Matt, contact your RODE agent or shoot an e-mail to RODE Sydney and put the screws on them :) Explain what's up they'll get some to you.

Howard, fingernail polish may well damage the mics finish. You shouldn't need to but using the correct Phillips screwdriver carefully tighten the screws if you're concerned.

Cheers.

Vito DeFilippo June 27th, 2008 08:47 AM

Same thing happened to me, but I noticed in time before I lost any screws. Got to keep an eye on it, I guess...

Hubert Duijzer August 4th, 2008 07:56 AM

I'm bringing up this thread, because i just found that i'm missing one screw. Another one was also loose. I just emailed Rode about it, i don't know if they can do anything about it.

Michael Wisniewski August 4th, 2008 08:01 AM

This just happened recently to my Audio Technica 4053. I guess it's one of those weird things to watch for.

Michael Wisniewski August 4th, 2008 08:21 AM

Just contacted Audio Technica's parts department. They are sending the screws no charge! Very nice. Rode did the same for me when the bands on my Videomic were too "squeaky", they sent me a new set no charge. Might want to call Rode's parts department to see.

On a side note, I recently messed up the mic holder on an XH A1, Canon charged me US$8.00 for the replacement, which basically covers the shipping. Pretty sweet deal. So far getting replacement parts has been very easy.

Hubert Duijzer October 15th, 2008 09:14 AM

I finally received the missing screw.
I didn't hear anything back from Rode, so i emailed them again last monday. Thuesday i received an email from the company that imports Rode to the Netherlands (never heard of them before) and today (wednesday) i received an letter with three screws. Free of charge! Thats what i call a good and fast service.

I guess my first email didn't arrive well.
Kudos to Rode's servicedepartment!

On a sidenote, i also messed up the A1's mic holder (weak design) and i had to pay something like € 36,- for the replacement. No kudos to Canon on this one.

Ngo Vinh-Hoi October 16th, 2008 12:56 PM

We lost a screw out of one my school's NTG-2s recently. The whole XLR plug assembly would slide out about 5mm when unplugging a cable, although the mic kept working and there was no loss in sound quality. The plug assembly continued to shift even after I temporarily cannibalized a screw from a spare Rode. I ended up taking the mic to my dealer in NYC, who fixed it for free under warranty.

Anyway, for those of you who've had a screw loose recently(;-)), you may want to go through a few plug/unplug cycles to make sure that everything stays where it should.

Hoi