HDV's compressed audio/ - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #16
Inner Circle

What seldom gets talked about in this fray is what a side by side comparison of non-compressed audio to compressed audio reveals and what do you intend to do with the audio.

So you record on HDV....really, really well. At the same time you also record to 16-bit, 48 kHz uncompressed. Then you get in the two together in a good studio with good monitors and you may or may not be able to tell the difference. Why? What mic did you use? What preamp did you use? Where was the mic? So the gear you use can so compromise the audio that a little 5:1 compression reduction is barely noticeable.

Almost the entire music production community IN THE WORLD, years ago said 16-bit, 44.1 kHz digital audio in CDs, was lacking. When the bit rate was upped to 24-bit, 44.1 kHz, most of those complaints were silenced. From that, we can learn that those folks who make a living with their audio can tell the difference. They are going the other way; higher bit rate, 50% more data, not 80% less data.

What do you want to do with the audio? If it's going to be compressed again by some other process, like maybe making DVDs for your final product, well now you're compressing an already compressed audio stream. What does THAT audio sound like compared to the original, uncompressed audio.

You want to keep turning this chestnut? Go ahead. Every time I get the opportunity to toss in, I will. Here it comes. If you can't tell the difference, good for you. The world is full of compromises. You want to make this one? Go for it.

When I took it upon myself to find an applications engineer at Sony and pressed him for a response about HDV audio, he said, "Of course, if you want the best audio you'd double record if you were shooting HDV."

Hey, HDV video also as limitations. Pan a shot of tree leaves, water or a sporting event audience and watch it break up. HDV is not HD. It's that simple.

I know the math and I can't ignore it. Plus, I know what it sounds like. I'd rather "err" on the side of fidelity. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #17
Regular Crew

thanks Ty for your response ,

the decision of taking a recorder is bin taken. now the quest of finding something that really fits my productionneeds can start. but thats going to be a new thread..

greetz
Terwingen Niels is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio