DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Favorite Mics for interviews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/12435-favorite-mics-interviews.html)

Erik Rosenbluh July 25th, 2003 08:22 AM

Favorite Mics for interviews

I'm going to be shooting some interviews with my VX2000. I was just wondering what mics other users preferred when doing this. Is a Lav ok, or do people prefer a combo with a shotgun? We're on a limited budget, but I want really decent sound.

Thanks in advance,
Erik

Mike Rehmus July 25th, 2003 10:58 AM

Not enough info, Eric.

Are you going to have help or have to do this by yourself?

If by yourself, I'd hand them a microphone that is either wired or wireless. Wired is less expensive. A Shure SM58 works really well as does the Electro Voice 635A. Both are around $100 in discount shops like guitar stores.

These are omni dynamic microphones that are used a lot. News folks like the EV because of its small size.

Both have a shockmount for the microphone capsule so you get no handling noise.

Either microphone will work rather well if you just use an XLR to mini-plug adapter. Make certain that the mini-plug end is stereo so you will have a solid connection to the VX-2000.

If, on the other hand, you have a sound assistant, then a shotgun is nice because it can be held just out of the shot. A shotgun on the camera is really useless unless you are going to stick the camera up to the targets nose and accept the optical distortions that brings.

From a sound quality standpoint, I much prefer the dynamic hand-held microphone because it will 'ignore' a lot of enviromental noise. You'd think shotguns would too but they tend to be directional only at the higher frequencies and are also very sensitive to the slightest breeze. Something the dynamics sort of shrug off.

A shotgun is going to cost you a lot more than the hand-held dynamic microphone which may be another factor.

Erik Rosenbluh July 25th, 2003 11:08 AM

Mike,
No sound assistant. Just me running camera, and one other person to ask the questions. I know we don't want to really see a hand held mic in the shot. A lav should be ok

Thanks,
Erik

Jacques Mersereau July 25th, 2003 01:10 PM

I like to use both lav mic and shotgun. The lav is first in line for use,
with the shotgun as back up in case the talent touches or rustles the lav.

I like the results of the wired sony ECM55b. Not too pricey . . . under $300.
You can spend more and get less imo.

Shotguns:

Low price: Audio technica AT835b (short shotgun) $249

Mid price: Sennheiser ME66/K6 combo (short shotgun) $400-480?

Hi price: Sennheiser 416 (industry pro standard-good sound and reach) $1000

Erik Rosenbluh July 25th, 2003 01:39 PM

I took a look at the sony ECM55b, and it looks kinda bulky. Are there other lavaliers that people like to use with the VX2000? Do you use headphones on the camera to monitor the sound?

Thanks,
Erik

Jacques Mersereau July 25th, 2003 02:19 PM

They are a little bulky. For a lav that works as well and has a smaller
head, the sony ECM-77B is nice and $100 more. I am not sure if
it comes with a self powering module like the 55B. (Remember that
most good lavs are condenser and require phantom power to work,
which the VX2K does NOT supply. In fact, you will need an adapter
like the Beachtek DXA-4 or DXA-6 (phantom model).)

There are lots of choices out there: Tram, Sennheiser, Countryman and DPA
are manufacturers which make well regarded lavs with small heads.

Yes, I use headphones to monitor sound . . . sony 7506 is the choice
of champions.

John Hartney July 25th, 2003 08:44 PM

I take it you're asking about a good stick mic, tuned for voice...

I like and use a beyer M58... I also have but don't use, EV635, and EV 55.... I keep them for back ups... oh yeah... I have also used an EV RE50 for years... great work horse.

Jacques Mersereau July 26th, 2003 08:21 AM

>>I take it you're asking about a good stick mic, tuned for voice...

Ermmm, no ;)

Erik said in a previous post he did not want a *hand held* mic
for the interview they'll be shooting, so we're talking about
lav mics and shotguns on boom poles.

Mike Rehmus July 26th, 2003 10:58 AM

Well not necessarily on boom poles with their myriad of problems. The shotgun in a good handheld shock mount is a very powerful tool and capable of much better work in the hands of a novice than a boom pole. Cheaper too since one has to have the shockmount in order to use the boom pole anyway.

I regularly use shotguns in the Light Wave Systems Super Mount when I have fairly inexperienced interviewers/sound people.

The hand held setup takes far less room in crowded situations too.

Jacques Mersereau July 26th, 2003 01:26 PM

Good point!

John Hartney July 26th, 2003 03:03 PM

Sorry I didn't see the second post about not wanting to use a stick mic...

But for a small operation, they work well. I like the beyer dynamic m58.

Allen Brodsky July 26th, 2003 07:11 PM

I use the Sony ECM-44B for interviews. It is less expensive than the 55B and I don't find the mic itself bulky.

Scott Anderson July 30th, 2003 03:29 PM

I have a VX-2000, and here are my choices.

I'll chime in for the Sony ECM-44B. I have been exeptionally pleased with it's performance. To my ear, it's the best lav I've ever worked with - and at a reasonable price, size and color.

Also, the Sony 7506 headphones are the best for field production, without a doubt. You can pay much more for headphones and not get the quality or features on this set. I really like that they are durable enough to take in the field, hang off your tripod, etc. They also fold up into a small package to be stuffed into your camera bag.

I'd also like to recommend a wireless system, as I purchased the ECM-44B with the Samson UHF32 diversity system. I've worked in a variety of locations with concrete walls and heavy radio traffic around, and I have yet to get any interference of any kind with that system! I bought it bundled with the mike from B&H, and I have to say it was the best money I ever spent.

I also use the Studio1 XLR adapter, but they have changed the design to be an off-camera mount. I prefer the stability of the on-camera mount, so shop around. The Studio1 I have is similar to the Beachtek DXA4, but if I had to buy now, I would probably buy the Beachtek DXA6 - not just to have the option of phantom power, which is cool, but the xtra-low profile.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...=140&brandID=1
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh2/con...=187782&is=REG
www.studio1productions.com/
www.beachtek.com/products.html

Mike Rehmus July 30th, 2003 05:44 PM

The original Studio 1 design was built by Sign Video who now sell it and most of the original Studio 1 equipment under their own label.

Still the best XLR adapter available IMHO and now it comes with the option of hanging it on your belt or attaching it to the underside of the camera.