DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Connecting Sony PCM D50 to SD 302 mixer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/124525-connecting-sony-pcm-d50-sd-302-mixer.html)

Braden Blackmon June 24th, 2008 10:33 PM

Connecting Sony PCM D50 to SD 302 mixer

I need to connect my PCM D50 to my 302 mixer and would like to know if I can go from the XLR to a stereo 1/8 inch "in" on my SONY. Do I need an optical cable? I do not want to fry anything on my SONY but I am interested in using the 302 to give phantom power to my mic's and then route to the SONY. Any help would be appreciated.

A Confused Canadian.

Petri Kaipiainen June 25th, 2008 12:09 AM

It seems that Sony has two inputs you could use; line in and mic in. SD302 can feed either of those, the normal output is line level (use line in), but it can be tuned down from the SD302 menu to mic level out if needed.

SD302 has no digital/optical output, so an optical cable is useless.

You need a 2xF-XLR to M-ministereo-jack Y cable, which are available in better audio shops or you can soldier one yourself.

Braden Blackmon June 25th, 2008 07:31 AM

Thanks Peter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen (Post 898181)
It seems that Sony has two inputs you could use; line in and mic in. SD302 can feed either of those, the normal output is line level (use line in), but it can be tuned down from the SD302 menu to mic level out if needed.

SD302 has no digital/optical output, so an optical cable is useless.

You need a 2xF-XLR to M-ministereo-jack Y cable, which are available in better audio shops or you can soldier one yourself.

Thanks for the advice Peter, but I am still wondering if it is OK to plug a mini-stereo into the optical jack on the D50; it looks the same size but I have never seen an optical cable so I don't know for sure. I guess if I can't I will change the settings in the 302 to a mic level output or is is possible to get an xlr to digital cable?

Sincerely, Cable Woes

Jeff Kellam June 25th, 2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden Blackmon (Post 898330)
Thanks for the advice Peter, but I am still wondering if it is OK to plug a mini-stereo into the optical jack on the D50; it looks the same size but I have never seen an optical cable so I don't know for sure. I guess if I can't I will change the settings in the 302 to a mic level output or is is possible to get an xlr to digital cable?

Sincerely, Cable Woes

Braden:

The line in is both optical and electrical. Page 28 of your manual describes using the line in function and page 29 describes using the optical input, which are the same jack labeled "line in (opt)".

Jeff

Marco Leavitt June 25th, 2008 08:24 AM

Don't use the regular XLR outputs on the 302 for this. Use the tape out. You'll need a special cable to go from the stereo mini-XLR output on the 302 to the line in miniplug input on the Sony. That's what that output is designed for.

Martin Pauly June 25th, 2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt (Post 898357)
Don't use the regular XLR outputs on the 302 for this. Use the tape out. You'll need a special cable to go from the stereo mini-XLR output on the 302 to the line in miniplug input on the Sony.

Exactly. This is a cable you can use:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...F_to_Mini.html

From there, add a mini-male to mini-male cable into your Sony camera.

- Martin

Braden Blackmon June 25th, 2008 12:58 PM

Thank you: Capital T

Thanks all who replied to my post. For a novice such as myself it is good to know that there are people to help with the bumps. This also saves me a lot of time because now I will just go with the tape out on my mixer and forget about the XLR. I will try to post some audio samples when I am done and also comment on whether the audio stays in sync with video. This board rocks!

A less stressed Canadain

Jeff Kellam June 25th, 2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden Blackmon (Post 898544)
Thanks all who replied to my post. For a novice such as myself it is good to know that there are people to help with the bumps. This also saves me a lot of time because now I will just go with the tape out on my mixer and forget about the XLR. I will try to post some audio samples when I am done and also comment on whether the audio stays in sync with video. This board rocks!

A less stressed Canadain

Braden:

I just used my PCM D50 this morning (and the mike input) to capture some sound. I love that thing.

Short clips are always easy to sync to the video, and the quality is great.

Marco Leavitt June 25th, 2008 07:36 PM

"Exactly. This is a cable you can use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...F_to_Mini.html From there, add a mini-male to mini-male cable into your Sony camera."

Man, I've checked all over to see where the heck I got it, but you can do this in one step. I have a stereo mini-XLR to 3.5mm mini plug cable. Can't remember where I got it. It's about a foot and a half long.