DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   XLR Adapter question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/125015-xlr-adapter-question.html)

Cliff Etzel June 30th, 2008 10:21 AM

XLR Adapter question

I'm finally looking at upgrading my audio gear.

I currently work with a pair of SONY HC7's which have 1/8" mini mic jacks.

I'm considering one of two options.

Option 1 is to go with the Ambient Recordings TinyMike with the mini jack option since it's mic jack is native mini and allows for direct connection and doesn't need phantom power to operate and is very compact.

Option 2 is going with an XLR based mic - I like the small size and reviews of the Audio-Technica AT875 kit from B&H. Since the mic isn't powered from the camera, I have to look at an XLR adapter to fit underneath the camera. My question is why are there XLR adapters that do not have phantom power, yet many mics require phantom power to work? It seems kind of superfluous to put an XLR adapter on the market that doesn't have phantom power.

I'm inexperienced in the audio side of things and I hope I can get some clarification on this.

Can the Audio-Technica AT875 be used with the Beachtek DXA-2S or DXA-4 Audio Adapter with my HC7's or am I going to have to get a phantom powered XLR adapter?

Don Bloom June 30th, 2008 10:37 AM

the 875 can be powered off of either the cameras phantom if it has it OR a AAA battery.

Don

Tsu Terao June 30th, 2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 901078)
the 875 can be powered off of either the cameras phantom if it has it OR a AAA battery.

Don

The 875 requires phantom power.

Steve House June 30th, 2008 11:36 AM

You might consider the Juicedlink 231 - it does provide phantom for the mics.

Michael Liebergot June 30th, 2008 02:03 PM

I second the Juicedlink 231.
I tested it against several Beachtek boxes DXA4, DXA-FX, and DXA-6HD (New top of the line with built in pre amp), and the juiced link was quieter than all of them.

The construction is very good and for what you get you can't beat the price.

Plus for the small form factor of a HC7 the box should fit well, as the Juicedlink boxes are smaller and shorter than the Beachtek boxes. This is my only complaint about the boxes, as I use it with much larger Sony FX1's and I wish the box itself was longer, as the Beachtek DXA boxes fit my FX1's perfect.

but for your camera size the boxes should fit nicely.

David Beisner June 30th, 2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel (Post 901065)
My question is why are there XLR adapters that do not have phantom power, yet many mics require phantom power to work? It seems kind of superfluous to put an XLR adapter on the market that doesn't have phantom power.

The reason is that phantom power can only come from an XLR jack and not from a 1/8" mini jack. So you have to use those adapters with mics that have the internal battery option, or between your camera and a field mixer.

Don Bloom June 30th, 2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsu Terao (Post 901088)
The 875 requires phantom power.

I beg to differ. The 875 which I'm holding in my hand right now is powered by either phantom OR an AA not a AAA as I had previously mentioned. I've been using this mic for about 5 years.

Don

Steve House June 30th, 2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 901188)
I beg to differ. The 875 which I'm holding in my hand right now is powered by either phantom OR an AA not a AAA as I had previously mentioned. I've been using this mic for about 5 years.

Don

The current production model is the AT875R and it says explicitly on the spec sheet posted on Audio Technica's site that it operates on phantom power only. Take a look at this link, about 1/2 the way down the page in the left-hand column.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/re...t875r_ss_e.pdf

Jeff Kellam June 30th, 2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Beisner (Post 901165)
The reason is that phantom power can only come from an XLR jack and not from a 1/8" mini jack. So you have to use those adapters with mics that have the internal battery option, or between your camera and a field mixer.

Not true.

There are 1/8" powered jacks.

Every time I plug a 1/8" mic into my Sony PCM-D50 recorder, it asks to select a voltage. If you have a XLR to 1/8" adapter in use, you can phantom power mics. Not sure if there are 1/8" native unbalanced mics with phantom power.

Jeff Kellam June 30th, 2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel (Post 901065)
I'm finally looking at upgrading my audio gear.

I currently work with a pair of SONY HC7's which have 1/8" mini mic jacks.

I'm considering one of two options.

Option 1 is to go with the Ambient Recordings TinyMike with the mini jack option since it's mic jack is native mini and allows for direct connection and doesn't need phantom power to operate and is very compact.

Option 2 is going with an XLR based mic - I like the small size and reviews of the Audio-Technica AT875 kit from B&H. Since the mic isn't powered from the camera, I have to look at an XLR adapter to fit underneath the camera. My question is why are there XLR adapters that do not have phantom power, yet many mics require phantom power to work? It seems kind of superfluous to put an XLR adapter on the market that doesn't have phantom power.

I'm inexperienced in the audio side of things and I hope I can get some clarification on this.

Can the Audio-Technica AT875 be used with the Beachtek DXA-2S or DXA-4 Audio Adapter with my HC7's or am I going to have to get a phantom powered XLR adapter?

Have you considered this kit? Solves some of your problems.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oid_Short.html

Steve House June 30th, 2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 901196)
Not true.

There are 1/8" powered jacks.

Every time I plug a 1/8" mic into my Sony PCM-D50 recorder, it asks to select a voltage. If you have a XLR to 1/8" adapter in use, you can phantom power mics. Not sure if there are 1/8" native unbalanced mics with phantom power.

1/8 mics might have what is known as 'mic power' but an unbalanced mic can't have phantom power as phantom power requires 3 conductors to work.

Don Bloom June 30th, 2008 07:05 PM

Steve,I didn't realize they had a new model out that is only phantom.

Most of the guys I know have the same model I have and I don't think any of them know about the new one.
Live and learn.

Don

Don Bloom July 1st, 2008 04:22 AM

To All,
When I make a mistake I man up to it and I made one for which I apologize to all for. I was thinking of the 875 and had the 897 in my hand and frankly spaced out on it completely. So to make amends, it is the 897 that will operate off of either phantom or AA batery and the 875 operates off of phantom only as noted. Aslo the folks I know that have the mic have the 897 not the 875.
Once again my apologizes and next time I'll make sure my 'sometimers' hasn't kicked in before responding.

Don