DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Countryman B6 won't work with Sennheiser MZA 900 XLR adaptor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/125539-countryman-b6-wont-work-sennheiser-mza-900-xlr-adaptor.html)

Glen Long July 8th, 2008 09:44 AM

Countryman B6 won't work with Sennheiser MZA 900 XLR adaptor

I recently bought a couple of the Sennheiser G2 wireless systems with the supplied ME2 mics.

I wanted to get better lav mics so ordered a Countryman B6 from the US to work with the Sennheiser transmitters.

I also wanted the option of using these mics in a wired configuration, so I bought a couple of Sennheiser MZA 900P phantom power adaptor units, as mentioned in this old thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...heiser+MZA+900

Here's my problem.

- The Countryman B6 works fine with the Sennheiser wireless system.
- The Sennheiser ME2 lav mic works fine as a wired mic using the MZA unit and a Beachtek DXA-6A supplying the power.

BUT when I swap the ME2 for the B6 in the wired configuration I get nothing!

Now since the version of the B6 I have is designed as a direct replacement for the Sennheiser lav I don't know what's up.

Am I missing something obvious (I'm not an audio pro BTW)?

Thanks in advance,

Glen.

Greg Bellotte July 9th, 2008 02:51 PM

Been there, done that. I've even spoken to Mr. Countryman (Greg? Craig?) at NAB last year who seemed eager to resolve this very issue. However when speaking to their tech support people, the bottom line was they told me they don't guarantee their mics to work with sennheiser accessories and we never got beyond that. Poor support in my opinion, and that was the last time I bought anything countryman. Too bad, this adapter combo would make their mics the best of both worlds (wired, wireless) and save us all a lot of money. I have since moved over to the MKE-2 lav mics, not as small as the B6 but still easily hidden and I find them to sound just as good. My fav lav at the moment, BTW. It works equally well on the SK500 transmitter, and the MZA900 adapter. Sennheiser is VERY responsive to all of my support needs as well, but all they could offer about this was that the B6/E6 draw too much current for the MZA. We were both curious as to why they seem to work fine on the TX. Sorry for the bad news...

Steve Oakley July 9th, 2008 03:05 PM

try a different mixer. maybe the problem is that that mixer isn't putting out enough juice to keep things happy.

maybe try googling "B6 G2 adapter wiring" or such and see what turns up. I know with lectros some mics have different wiring then standard config to make work. might be the case with the B6.

Glen Long July 9th, 2008 03:42 PM

Thanks for the information. At least I'm not the only one I suppose.

It's my fault for making assumptions I guess but it didn't seem that crazy an assumption at the time.

I bought the B6 because I'd read such good things about it, particularly with being able to conceal them easily.

I could be in for a double disappointment because I've got a couple of Countryman EMWs in the post too. I guess because they're a different model there's a chance they might work where the B6 doesn't - I'll post the answer when I know.

Greg - I don't suppose you happened to find out along the way if particular issue was a problem with Countryman mics generally or just with the B6...?

Thanks!

Glen Long July 9th, 2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Oakley (Post 905152)
try a different mixer. maybe the problem is that that mixer isn't putting out enough juice to keep things happy.

maybe try googling "B6 G2 adapter wiring" or such and see what turns up. I know with lectros some mics have different wiring then standard config to make work. might be the case with the B6.

Thanks Steve.

I haven't got access to another mixer at the moment but will see if I can get hold of one.

I may be grossly over-simplifying things but I can't fully understand why the Sennheiser wireless transmitter with 2x1.5V AA batteries would be able to drive the mic but the Beachtek with a 9V can't...

Glen Long July 10th, 2008 05:14 AM

Quick update...

The Countryman EMWs I'd ordered arrived today and they work just fine with the MZA XLR adaptor so it would seem to just be the B6 that won't co-operate.

I'm still a bit confused but a lot happier knowing that at least the EMWs work, and from my very early testing they sound great!

Bernie Beaudry July 10th, 2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Long (Post 905364)
Quick update...

The Countryman EMWs I'd ordered arrived today and they work just fine with the MZA XLR adaptor so it would seem to just be the B6 that won't co-operate.

I'm still a bit confused but a lot happier knowing that at least the EMWs work, and from my very early testing they sound great!

I have four B6s wired for Lectro and have two of the Countryman xlr adaptors to hardwire two if needed. I was told by Countryman that these adaptors would not work with the EMW mics. The point being, the wiring is different on the B6s and your adaptors aren't compatible with the B6 wiring.
Bernie

Greg Bellotte July 10th, 2008 05:33 PM

I tried both the E6i, and the B6. Neither work with the MZA900. However, both work fine when attached to a G2 transmitter.

Ty Ford July 10th, 2008 06:16 PM

Different transmitters and power supplies require different wiring.
You need the correct "link" piece to work with each one.
A B6 power supply won't work on an EMW.
I think you will be able to sort it out and get all the bits working.

If you go to Countryman's site, there's a detailed page that shows, among other things, how many mics and wiring schemes there are. It's almost frightening.

Regards,

Ty Ford