Boom pole + xlr cable suggestions. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Shahryar: Glad my comments were of use to you. I still love my K-Tek although I'm starting to see my Cavision shockmount coming apart at the rubber "welded" seam after only a few months of light use. We ABUSED the Rycote all-in-one version at my former 9 - 5 and to the best of my knowledge it still looks like new. Sorry for the hijack...
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Shahryar: Glad my comments were of use to you. I still love my K-Tek although I'm starting to see my Cavision shockmount coming apart at the rubber "welded" seam after only a few months of light use. We ABUSED the Rycote all-in-one version at my former 9 - 5 and to the best of my knowledge it still looks like new. Sorry for the hijack...
No problem. I do need to get a shockmount for my mic to use with my boompole. So.. avoid the cavision? I was leaning towards something from Rode.
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Rycote | Large Hole Softie Mount & Pistol Grip | 033703

This, in the right size, will be my next mount. Same one I spec'd for the former 9 - 5. Inexpensive, it works well enough for my needs and simple. I HATE the cris-crossing elastic band mounts, but that's MY issue...
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:10 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Rycote | Large Hole Softie Mount & Pistol Grip | 033703

This, in the right size, will be my next mount. Same one I spec'd for the former 9 - 5. Inexpensive, it works well enough for my needs and simple. I HATE the cris-crossing elastic band mounts, but that's MY issue...
ah, ok. So you'd recommend this for me? - to use with my AT-822 and K-tek 110CCR?

$119 is a bit higher than what I would like to spend. I had been discussing that AT822 specifically in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...tml#post935680 and the Rode SM4 was recommended. After seeing the price of $50, I got my hopes up on buying something at that price level.

But if I was to venture out to the $100+ level, How would your suggested Rycote compare to the K-tek GPS? K-Tek | K-GPS - Universal Microphone Suspension Mount | K-GPS. I Ask about this particular model because the person I just offered to buy the used K-tek 100CCR from (and who I already bought my used Xh-a1 from - it arrived last week) is also selling this shock mount. I'm wondering if perhaps if I could work out a deal with him to include this shockmount with the K-tek boompole - but I wanted to make sure I definitely wanted to spend this amount - of course, I would love to spend less (w/ the SM4 that is). Even spending the $190 I'm planning to spend on the used K-tek 110 CCR required a bit of thought on my end but I figure it's worth it to spend an extra $40 for what seems to be the better boom pole.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM   #35
Major Player

Try this invision 7 | B&H Photo Video for shockmount and it will beat the others. But no windjammer for this one.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:10 PM   #36
Regular Crew

My used K-Tek | KE-110CCR Avalon Series Aluminum Boompole | KE-110CCR arrived today and seems to be in good shape. Hopefully i'll get to use it real soon - I still need to get a mic to use with the boom pole, a mount, and a windjammer thought. I've noted Toenis's advice for the invision 7 & Shaun's advice for the Rycote. When Toenis brought up the windjammer, I shot him an e-mail asking a bit more on it, and he gave me a nice, helpful response. I thought I'd post it here for other people to reference:

Quote:
Hello,

The windjammer is that furry thing you see around the mics.
Basically there are two components in a mic mount the suspension mount
that the invision / is and a full wind protection often referred to as
Zeppelin, Blimp or a Windjammer. The cheapest viable full solution is th
Rycote S-Series full system but that is around $350 but the Invision has
the same schockmount as the S-System. SO basically you could purchase the
Invision 7 and make that furry thing around by your self. This is the
highest end system DPA WindPac and this
by far is the easiest to make
rcrds DIY MS-stereo microphone blimp just
check from the middle of the page how to make the windjammer part, the
cage and the furry thing. And remember the suspension like the invision is
the most important part then just make sure the furry part is not touching
the mic inside it and there you go. Imagine the Invision 7 to be that
shockmount on this picture
http://www.scotthandelvideo.com/Grap...cote_kit-4.jpg you just have to
come up with the cage and the furry cloth around it.

I hope this helps,
T

This is a message from Shahryar Rizvi at The Digital Video Information
Network ( http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/ ). The The Digital Video Information
Network owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the
email.

This is the message:

Hey Toenis,

You lent me a hand in the DV forum suggesting the invision 7. At the
price of $69, that definitely sounds good (as I mentioned in the forum,
I'd rather spend close to $50 than $150). But you said it had no
windjammer. I'm really new to all this so I didnt want to ask a stupid
question, but would you mind telling me what a windjammer is?

I myself am really not a DIY guy so I'm a little scared to try my own like Toenis suggested, but let me look at it some more and decide.

For using my stereo mic (AT-822) with my camera (XH-A1), I'm planning on getting an SM4.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 02:51 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
My used K-Tek | KE-110CCR Avalon Series Aluminum Boompole | KE-110CCR arrived today and seems to be in good shape. Hopefully i'll get to use it real soon - I still need to get a mic to use with the boom pole, a mount, and a windjammer thought. I've noted Toenis's advice for the invision 7 & Shaun's advice for the Rycote. When Toenis brought up the windjammer, ...

I myself am really not a DIY guy so I'm a little scared to try my own like Toenis suggested, but let me look at it some more and decide.

For using my stereo mic (AT-822) with my camera (XH-A1), I'm planning on getting an SM4.
Rycote's S-Series Windjammers incorporate the Invision lyre mounting system and are quite a bit less expensive than the full kit.
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
I still need to get a mic to use with the boom pole, a mount, and a windjammer thought. I've noted Toenis's advice for the invision 7 & Shaun's advice for the Rycote.
Shahryar, Did you buy the shockmount, windjammer etc?

I was planning to buy some sort of stand along with a boom pole. What is a C stand and how is it different from other stands? and what is a grip head and is it required to put a boom pole on a stand? And any suggestions? I am planning for dramatic short films (not professional work, but still want to achieve some quality). I don't have the luxury of boom boys and like, so I'll have to write scenes where the dialogue happens relatively in a fixed location and I can use a stand+boom to capture dialogue. Does that even make sense? I still haven't bought any equipment and was planning to buy during thanksgiving. Does anyone offer deals on professional equipment at all?
Srinivas Swaminathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas Swaminathan View Post

I was planning to buy some sort of stand along with a boom pole. What is a C stand and how is it different from other stands? and what is a grip head and is it required to put a boom pole on a stand? ...Does anyone offer deals on professional equipment at all?
Here's an interesting video clip on C-stands, grip heads, and how to use them. PixelCorps.tv To fly a mic over the set, you add a holder like a fishing rod holder you'd use on a fishing boat ... Remote Audio: Boom Boy ... clamped in the grip head to hold the mic boom.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #40
Contributor

Like this: General Brand | Boom Pole Holder | REMBOMAST | B&H Photo Video

You can get the same thing at a sporting goods store that sells fishing gear for probably 10 bucks or so. Only difference is that the base is like a big screw instead of a rod, but it works equally well. If you don't have an extra C-stand, you can use a grip head on a light stand, but it's harder to sandbag a light stand.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve for the video, it gave me some idea. Thanks Bill, I presume the Boom will just rest in that holder because of its weight and not slide down.
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Mic Accesories for $500

I am looking for suggestions to get all the items (new) below for $500 or less.

1. C-stand with grip head and arm
2. Boom Pole with xlr
3. shock mount
4. Zeppelin+deadcat
5. Boompole holder
6. mic shoe mount

BTW, I am planning to go for AT4053 hypercardioid as my only mic for now, put it on a boom pole and c-stand. Later, I'll add shotgun, lav and mixer to my kit, but right now with $500 on the mic gone, I want to get all the accesories under $500. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Srinivas Swaminathan; November 30th, 2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added a few more items
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Rode just came out with a Shock mount / Zeppelin / dead wombat .. a lot less than the Rycote system. Check Trew Audio for a review.
www.trewaudio.com/products/rode/blimp/
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Going to need to add a bit to that budget. C-Stand with grip head and arm will run you about $250 or so, boom holder $25, the Rode Blimp system $300 and you're already over $500 before even looking at a pole. Add another $250 or so for a bargain boom.
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Thanks Rick and Steve.

AT4053 is a pretty small mic (6.1") and I am not sure if it will be too small for the zeppelin. I asked RODE support and got a prompt reply that it should be okay, although not certain. It says that the RODE blimp is a handheld one with a thread for boom mount. I am wondering if I can directly mount it on a camera or would I need a shoe adaptor?

OK, this is what it looks so far(for all new, inclusive of shipping):
RODE blimp - $303
Matthews 40" C-stand with Grip head and arm - $172
K-tek 110CCR with internal cabled XLR from side** - $240
Boompole holder - $35

This makes it exactly $750!

** Any comments on benefits of side vs bottom XLR on boom poles?
Srinivas Swaminathan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio