Which Batteries for Sennheiser G2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #31
Major Player

Perhaps my next rechargeable purchase?

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-...v0ccjl6g98t682
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #32
Regular Crew

batteries

I've been using Maha PowerEx 2700mAh NiMH AA's in the Edirol R4-Pro, this lasts 4-5 hours before swapping batteries. In the G2's I use them as well and they work just fine, no difference in audio quality compared to alkalines. Forget average life in the G2's, think I swap em once a day. Also, I always use a one hour charger. my $0.02
cheers
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I have been using the Rayovac Hybrids. Runs my G2s at least 10 hours without powering down. Even holds the charge when unused 70 -80% or more than normal NiMHs. I was going to buy the DC power adapter for the receivers and power externally, but with that kind of battery economy it wasn't worth the expense or trouble.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Batteries

Rechargeable batteries loose power the more you use them. The more you use them the less they hold a charge. Allot of electronics manufacturers specify that you not use rechargeable batteries and run only fresh alkaline batteries.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I have been using the Rayovac Hybrids. Runs my G2s at least 10 hours without powering down. Even holds the charge when unused 70 -80% or more than normal NiMHs. I was going to buy the DC power adapter for the receivers and power externally, but with that kind of battery economy it wasn't worth the expense or trouble. Unlike my Lectro receivers that eat 9Vs two at a time, which makes external power almost a necessity.
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #36
Major Player

King of the Hill: Energizer AA Lithiums.

Pro: Last about 3 times longer than anything else, 40% lighter in weight, 10 year shelf life.
Con: cost a lot
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #37
Major Player

I've been using the powerex 2700's on my G-2's. They run all day and barely dent the battery meter.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Boyer View Post
Rechargeable batteries loose power the more you use them. The more you use them the less they hold a charge. Allot of electronics manufacturers specify that you not use rechargeable batteries and run only fresh alkaline batteries.
Sennheiser sell a set of NiMH batteries for use in the G2 kits. Needless to say they are expensive, no different to other NiMH batteries and you need their charger to charge them as they're in a plastic housing.

Keep in mind that the high capacity NiMH cells have a high self discharge rate of around 1% per day. If this is an issue Sanyo and a few others make 2100mAH cells designed for remote controls with a very low self discharge.

We have found that the hand held Senny wireless mics will not work with NiMH batteries.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Well if you're investing in NiMH batteries, you should also be investing in a charger that has options. Look up the Maha / Powerex MH-C9000. It's the best way to keep your batteries healthy.

I had Energizer 2500NiMH batteries that would only work for about 2 hours in an SMa transmitter. I did a refresh and analyze, and now I get almost 4 hours.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
We have found that the hand held Senny wireless mics will not work with NiMH batteries.
I have not tried the Rayovacs in the Senny H/H. I do get about the same economy in the butt-plug configuration with a dynamic mic.
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #41
New Boot

Just a word from a Network and Major Studio viewpoint. You will NEVER see rechargables being used on a production. We used to use Duracell Procells until lately purchasing must have gotten a deal for Energizer Industrial batteries. Peoples jobs are too important to rely on rechargables....
George Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #42
New Boot

I'll back up what George (and others) said. We have 4 Sens HH, 2 Sens Lav, 2 Shure HH, and sometimes Lectros (rented) we use on stage for our audio company. We also do system installs. We NEVER use recharg-o's and recommend to all clients we install systems for to follow the same advice.

BTW: Mic problems from recharg-o's falls into the top ten reasons for service calls on systems! (Fortunately it's an easy fix).

Just my 2 cents...
Kevin Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #43
Major Player

The only batteries you should use in a G2 are standard alkaline AA size (eg: Duracell or ProCell) or the Sennheiser BA 2015 rechargeable pack.

You should *not* use standard AA rechargeables.

The BA 2015 has three contact points and "talks" to the transmitter or receiver.
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:29 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Fox View Post

BTW: Mic problems from recharg-o's falls into the top ten reasons for service calls on systems! (Fortunately it's an easy fix).
How could they damage my gear, and what kind of easy fix ?

thnks
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:44 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sweet View Post
How could they damage my gear, and what kind of easy fix ?

thnks
I don't think he meant damage.. just meant they are the cause of issues that stem from the use of rechargeables.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio