Which Batteries for Sennheiser G2 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM   #46
Trustee

All rechargable batteries are not created equal. They all have different characteristics. Here's a general description:

1) Nicad- cheap, but can build up a "memory" over time. The put out a lot of power.
2) NiMHs - better than Nicad. They also put out a lot of power for high current applications.
3) Lithium - lasts longer than NiMHs, but they don't put out as much power.

For example. If you bought two identical radio controlled cars and put NiMHs batteries in one and Lithium in the other. The NiMHs car would run much faster but run dead quicker. The Lithium would run slower, but last longer. It's like the NiMHs has a larger "pipe" to put out power than the Lithium.

I don't have any idea how much current draw the G2 uses, but I'm guessing that the better choice in this case would be the Lithium rechargeable batteries.

I use a Letus 35mm spinning ground-glass adaptor. If I put Lithium batteries in it, it runs a long time, but sometimes, when I press the power button, the ground-glass won't start spinning. I have to "help it out a bit" (don't ask). But when I run standard alkaline or NiMH batteries, it always starts right up, but it doesn't last as long.

Does that make sense? It probably doesn't help much, but I thought it would be good information to add to this discussion. :)
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I don't have any idea how much current draw the G2 uses, but I'm guessing that the better choice in this case would be the Lithium rechargeable batteries.
No - the only choice is the BA 2015 rechargeable pack which was designed specifically for the unit and "talks" to it via the extra contact.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM   #48
Trustee

Hopefully Sennheiser isn't still using nicads for their battery packs. If so, you'd be better off with rechargeable lithium's (although they wouldn't "talk" to the unit)
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Hopefully Sennheiser isn't still using nicads for their battery packs.
They are NiMh as far as I'm aware and have been for years.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio