Which Batteries for Sennheiser G2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Which Batteries for Sennheiser G2

Wanted to get recommendations with regards to what's the best AA batteries to use when working with my G2 wireless lav.

I've discovered that my 2400NiMH AA Recargeable are causing a fuzzy distortion as compared to using the supplied Varta Alkaline batteries. It seems that even though they are fully charged, they aren't providing the output necessary to get a clean signal as compared to the disposable ones that came with the G2 kit.

I try to practice not using disposable anything unless I absolutely have to - is this one of those times where standard alkaline AA's are necessary or are there rechargeable AA's out there that someone would recommend to use with the Sennheiser G2 setup?
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No idea how you're getting fuzzy distortion.. I've used both Energizer Rechargeables and regular alkaline batteries with no issue. What other batteries have you tried?
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't remember where I read it, but I read that rechargeable batteries only supply 3/4 of the voltage that a regular AA does. I can tell you that I can't use freshly charged batteries in my R4 but the dame batteries will fire my flash almost all day. Regular AA's will power it just fine. Whatever the reason, using rechargeable batteries in a wireless system isn't recommended.

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Go figure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bisom View Post
I don't remember where I read it, but I read that rechargeable batteries only supply 3/4 of the voltage that a regular AA does. I can tell you that I can't use freshly charged batteries in my R4 but the dame batteries will fire my flash almost all day. Regular AA's will power it just fine. Whatever the reason, using rechargeable batteries in a wireless system isn't recommended.

Mike
Mike - Your response seems to confirm my findings - I used the provided Varta Alkaline's and the audio sounds great - I put in my freshly charged Duracell 2400mAh NiMH's and the audio gets fuzzy...

Unless someone can prove otherwise, I guess it's disposables.. :-|
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Cliff,

Good, fresh, alkaline AA batteries usually have an initial voltage of over 1.5 volts. I typically measure around 1.56 volts using Energizer non-rechargeables. Please note that good alkalines keep their charge much longer than rechargeables, which self-discharge fairly quickly if not used.

Good, fresh, just off the charger (taken off of the charger soon after the charge cycle is complete), Energizer NiMH batteries measure around 1.40 volts. I consider 1.38 volts and above to be fine. If you leave them on most chargers after the charge cycle is complete, then they will have lost some of their charge.

The key here is that many NiMH batteries lose their charge quickly.

I always try to measure the voltage of my batteries before I use them, and always charge them the night before, or the day before, a shoot. It is easy to tell the best, from the good, from the weak, using a good voltmeter.

If you do not have (and do not want to get) a good digital voltmeter (and they do not cost much), then the battery gauge on the Sennheiser G2 units does a great job.

If you put fresh alkaline batteries in a G2, the battery gauge will read completely full.

Freshly charged good NiMH batteries will also read completely full, but not for long. But do not worry. There is still plenty of charge left in the NiMH to power the G2's for many hours.

So, I would like to know what your G2 battery gauge is indicating when you have the fuzzy distortion.

Energizer recently came out with a new type of NiMH battery that has slightly lower rated capacity, but does not lose the charge as quickly.

I have never had the fuzzy distortion that you are reporting. The difference between the 1.56 volts and the 1.40 volts is not significant. As the batteries are used, both will go down in voltage.

Could you please report:

1. How many bars you are seeing in the Sennheiser G2’s battery gauge, and
2. What batteries (Brand, rated capacity in MAH (milliamp hours), and
3. Type (alkaline, or rechargeable) you are using, when you hear the distortion?

4. Do you charge your rechargeables within 1 day of using them?
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I work with radios quite a bit, and despite rechargeables making economic sense, there's nothing as reliable as a bog standard alkaline cell. I mainly do theatre shows, one set per show, so have a pretty permanent supply of half empty ones for kids toys, and other non-critical things. Oddly, after three hours, they won't power my Pentax!

It isn't battery life on rechargeable ones, it's reliability. Can you be certain the ones you put in were on charge overnight, or did somebody swap them, or have you just put the almost dead ones in (the quick on/off - check meter, often shows full for a minute or so). Just to scary, so we carry on buying alkalines in bulk.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Dan - These are a set of 4 Duracell 2400mAh Rechargeables - the battery indicators on the G2s showed one bar missing from full charge as compared to the alkaline's which showed all bars.

With the Varta Industrial Alkaline's that came with the G2 kit, the mic sounds crystal clear. With the freshly charged NiMH Duracells, the audio has a distinct fuzzy distortion in general, and is very noticeable when I was speaking into the mic at a normal level. The audio levels on my HC7 were set to manual and adjusted to approx -6 to -10db so as far as I could tell, there was no over-modulation taking place.
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Cliff,

I use the Energizer 2500 MAH batteries.

Some are less than 1 year old, others are over 2 years old.

They all seem to work well.

I follow the steps I outlined above.

If you leave G2 on, with the rechargeable batteris in question, does the battery gauge go down quickly, say in an hour or two.

I have never had a problem with distortion.

Energizer indicates in their advertising that their rechargeables have more power than regular alkalines. I have not run any tests, but 3 of them power my Sound Devices Mixer for a long time.
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Major Player

Dan - maybe what I need to do is just get a dedicated set of these rechargeable batteries for the wireless lav.

Is there a difference between the standard overnight rechargeable's and the quick charge batteries (they charge between 20 minutes to 2 hours).

Also - do you have the actual model name for these batteries you are referring to?
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Cliff,

I currently use the 2500 MAH batteries. I do not have a part number, but here is a link:

http://www.energizer.com/products/hi...y-charger.aspx

I use the slow chargers (they are easier to find in stores and cheaper).

I have never used the fast chargers.

I would like to know if the fast chargers, which heat up the batteries, actually hurt the batteries or not.

I buy the charger, with 8 AA's and 4 AAA's in a package.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm wondering if maybe quick chargers sacrifice full charge for quick turnaround on charging itself. I have wall mount chargers that take 24 hours or so to fully charge batteries, I"m wondering if the quick charger I have been using is the culprit.

I'll do some more testing to see if this is the case - I'd prefer not using disposables since reuse helps protect the environment and is a core mission statement of my work.

Also - I've discovered that their are higher mAh batteries available (2700 and 2900) - would these provide more power for longer periods???
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Cliff,

The user manual, available on-line, for the 15 minute charger states that you can leave the batteries on the charger for an additional 10 minutes to provide an even fuller charge. (I do not remember exactly how it is worded.)

The manual says that the batteries will get warm. I believe that this is an understatement.

The 15 minute charger has advantages in that it can be powered from a 12 volt source, such as a car, or normal AC power.

http://www.energizer.com/SiteCollect...ns_english.pdf
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Major Player

I wonder if these batteries have been left uncharged for too long and they just aren't holding a good charge. I've got a set charging right now and will know tomorrow
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Cliff,

Based on the information that you have provided, I believe that you have a problem specifc to your batteries.

In other words, I feel that other rechargeable batteries can and do work well with the Sennheiser G2's.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Dan for your input - I'm off today to purchase a dedicated set just for the wireless lav.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio