Ok I'm about to buy a Lav. mic!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 11th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Marty, I did a lot of research on all the wireless systems available in that range and finally decided to go with a used Lectro 187 system. It cost me a little under $600 and was only a few years old and in really good shape. I found a tr-50 (also used) at location sound and scooped that up for around $75... In St. Louis there isn't as much competition for frequency as in other parts of the country so you must bear that in mind if (not you Marty, since you already have a system) you decide to follow my approach.

As I reason the situation, any "islands" in the VHF band that exist right now are more likely to stay open longer then the "islands" in the UHF band. UHF will be filled with DTV and emergency services eventually... which is why selectable frequency is a huge plus in ANY band.

I took a gamble on the VHF system based solely on the Lectro reputation and posts endorsing their systems. Many people told me I'd regret getting a VHF system with older technology.

So far the system I have is nothing short of amazing. The only time I've had any drop-outs at all is at super long range (over 900 feet!) OR when the receiver is at the bottom of a hill and I don't have line of sight... other then those two situations it's been pure joy. I even use the wireless when it's 25% less convenient to use wires. It's been THAT reliable... and it's VHF and none-diversity... but go to the Lectro site to understand what makes them different... I wouldn't compare these to an Azden vhf model (I used to have one.)

Marty you're right about the trams too. I like 'em alot. I have an mke-2 red and most of the time I use that tram anyway.

Just my .02
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #17
Major Player

Mike,

I believe you are talking about the RackMount receiver "EM100" and NOT the camera mountable receiver "EK100"

While you are right that the EM100 is balanced, the EK100 is not.
Also, the EK100 or EK500 do not have the battery status of the transmitter displayed on the receiver as in the EM100/500.

You are right about the ME-2, it is good enough for most applications, But if you are looking to upgrade, the TRAM is perfect.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
"That sucks up 2 of the three connections so one would have to use an XLR adapter of some sort to 'well-connect" an XLR microphone to the input of the body-pack transmitter. "
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I found the cables that may do the trick at www.remoteaudio.com which is a 48" MIC Level cable with a locking mini on one end and an XLR female at the other end part# is CASENEK100XM4. The other is a Line Level 24" cable with the same connections part# CASENEK100XL24. (THESE CABLES ARE DESIGNED FOR THE SENNHEISER TRANSMITTER)

Matt,

In NYC I would not take a chance with the VHF but where you are, I believe you will be pleased with the Lectro 187 and TRAM for under $700. It is still used in broadcast with excellent results.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #18
Wrangler

It is hard to tell. The bodypack has a stereo minisocket output that is wired to the XLR connector. I should ring out the sennheiser furnished connecting cable and see how it is hooked up.

In the manual, it appears as if the bodypack is single-ended. On their web site, they claim it is balanced assuming they wrote it correctly and I read it correctly (never a guarantee). Hardly makes a diference given the length of the cable and the signal levels.

In time I may understand it all? Nah.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio