Audio Kit (Upgrading) - Advice Please! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 19th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve for the input. I'll let everyone know what Senny say in this thread (I've already contacted them via their website) - if nothing else they ought to update their website product information so that audio noooobs like me can easily understand that a 100 series receiver can interface with a 500 series transmitter (as has just been confirmed by Dan).

I've "wasted" a few hours on this (nothing's wasted really, I'm now just a little smarter about Senny wireless kits/XLR mics etc.!)..... and I think Chris spent a bit of time on it too! (in between those glasses of vino)

Thanks everyone for the inputs on my Audio Upgrading ideas. Lots for me to consider (and buy!)
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Andy, just to confirm that the 500 Brick does work with the 100 reciever, I thought it did but wanted to check first and just did so, all was fine and the rain sounded lovely up in sunny Norfolk :-)
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks mate! We've just had yet another heavy shower here in Cambridgeshire...and guess which way it's heading.....lovely and sunny here now! (well nearly, gone cloudy again as soon as I typed it!)
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #19
Inner Circle

The List!

OK, thanks to the advice this is what I'm now considering to go with the kit I already have/is arriving soon - see my 1st post on this thread (with the approx prices I can get from a variety of recommended UK suppliers that are showing availability right now). I might need this kit in 2 weeks time. For those that don't know VAT is 17.5% in the UK (gulp!)

Senny EW112P G2 Wireless Mic Kit - Basically 100 Series Transmitter and Receiver with a few cables and a bundled cheapo lav at (£279+VAT)
Senny SKP 500 G2 (48v Phantom Option) Transmitter (the plug-in mic "Butt Plug") £210+VAT
Senny HD280 64 Ohms Closed Headphones (£69+VAT)
Rycote S Series 330 Windshield Kit (£195+VAT)
Rode 3M (5 stage) Boom Pole (£49+VAT)
Rode SM3 Shock Mount (£19+VAT)
Audio Technica Heavy Duty Micro Boom Stand MS9701TB (£25+VAT)
Boom Buddy - basically a clever holder for a boom pole for on top tripod use (£58.74+VAT)
XLR (mono) cables (6M and maybe 0.5M...not sure how short I need to go with NTG-3 on the PMW-EX3 yet).

My current thoughts are that I may one day want to upgrade the boom pole to an expensive one made in carbon fibre (but at 49 Quid +VAT the Rode is worth starting off/learning with). I've chosen the SM3 shockmount as it's more versatile than the SM4, especially with other mounting adapters I already have. Very (VERY) soon I'd probably want a better lav mic for the Senny body transmitter and at some point I might add a Sony PCM-D50 digital audio recorder to supplement....I think superceed.... my Zoom H2. I'm not "ready" for a mixer yet - maybe in a year or so.

Have I got this about right/any potential horror stories with the above choice?

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; July 20th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Andy I'd trade the Senn 280 cans for the Sony 7506. To be honest I don't think you'd hear a difference on location, but if you end up on site with some other pros, or a knowledgeable client the 7506 may go over better.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi again............

Er, a "knowledgeable client"?

Where, exactly, do you find one of them then?

Boy, must be in a different universe to me, that's for sure.

Haven't seen one in years, think they're an endangered species.

I haven't had one in 20 years had sense to come in out of the rain, and there's a lot of that in both the UK and NZ.

Back to "The List"...........

Can't see anything that stands out (other than the stands, that is, er.....) except the paucity of cables.

I'd throw in another 2 X 5 metre and 1 X 10 metre at least, tho' this is but harping, the rest looks pretty good.

Think you're good to go there, Andy.

CS

PS: Steve: Still trying to decipher your post, will get back when done.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Thanks Allan and Chris.

Just read a dozen or so on-line reviews of the the headphones mentioned above (Senny 280HD Pro's and Sony MDR 7506 Pro). I liked the design/foldability of the Senny's but it was clear as day that the Sony's are the ones to get if I want to hear every imperfection (and hopefully some perfection) in what I'm recording. This gets mentioned time and again by many people..... AmazonUK had the Sony's for 67 quid so I've just bought them/should have them by mid-week. Thanks for pointing me at them Allan - and you saved me 2 quid!!!! (nearly pays for a free beer when I'm better/over this cold!) - Norfolk Wherry (my favourite tipple) is £2.65 a pint in my local, in case you were wondering.

Chris, I agree it's a bit sparce on cables.... and will address that too so that I'm not relying on borrowing them from my video mates all the time!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; July 20th, 2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typos
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #23
Trustee

Another vote for the sony cans from me I have two pairs of 7506 and two mdr-v700 which although are DJ cans have the same drivers, they are ideal for late night editing when I need to be quiet.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Note to group: The Audio-Technica ATM-M50 are quickly working their way into use. have a pair for location work and four pair for the studio.

I also own two pair of 7506 and have put the cloth fabric ear cosies on them. Much nicer on those hot days.

I am reviewing the NTG-3 and so far like it a lot, especially for the price.

I have samples of it compared to a 416 in my online archive.
http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public?view=web

use the download arrow on the right for this file:

TyFordNTG-3MKH416.mp3

Below is a shot of the NTG-3 and the 416 after I took them apart for a better look.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Kit (Upgrading) - Advice Please!-ntg-3mkh416.jpg  
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #25
Inner Circle

That's a cool photo Ty. Funny, I always thought that the interference tube section of a shotgun was essentially hollow.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Rode has gone to great ends to shield the sensitive parts from RF. Plus, this is an RF condenser; a design used by Sennheiser in their 416.

IIRC, the Sanken CS-3e element is actually at the tip and there are electronics and other capsules below it. The Pearl mics do something similar, I think.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Er, a "knowledgeable client"?

Where, exactly, do you find one of them then?

Boy, must be in a different universe to me, that's for sure.

Haven't seen one in years, think they're an endangered species.

I haven't had one in 20 years had sense to come in out of the rain, and there's a lot of that in both the UK and NZ.
No offence but you missed the point. A lot of work can come from commercials, and producers and directors will want to know the gear list. That's why I proposed Sony 7506 cans instead of Senn 280s

They might not know the exact differences but they recognise and like to see brand names/models that are pretty well industry standards and probably used by their other crews.

Repeat business is what Andy should aim for and being new he'll have to impress *clients* right from the get go.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Andy

If ever ya get the chance then head to the Woodfordes Brewery to drink Norfolk Wherry at source :-) It's a lovely pub and if ya go in the shop then the promo video in there was recorded using a AT835ST, a pair of Audio 2000's with TR50's and went via a Filmtech mixer to (if my memory serves me right) a Sony 570.

I really should go and watch it myself but I get as far as the bar in the pub there and seem to get no further :-)

As for headphones, well of late I have really got on well with Audio Technica, the ATH-M50's that Ty mentions are really nice, also found I get on really well with the ATH-PRO5's, they may be DJ headphones but seem to do everything I want on Location (also use the cloth cover thingys, keep me big ears warm on a cold Norfolk day :-) )
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:25 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info. Yep, been to the pub brewery at Woodbastwick a few years ago - a birthday treat (and my wife drove of course!). Guess what, it's my birthday again this weekend..... We occassionally make the pubs on the North Norfolk Coast (Lifeboat at Thornham, Jolly Sailor at Brancaster Staithe, Hoste Arms at Burnham Market, Red Lion at Stiffkey.....I could go on but I bet you know the list I'd complete!). At one time I even found time to be a contributor to The Good Pub Guide. Since the kids came along visiting these pubs is less often than I'd like - but still occassionally happens!!!!

On a completely different note, I just spoke to www.jigsaw24.com about the expected delivery date of my new PMW-EX3 (whilst ordering some of the kit above). Second week in August is looking likely - but the'll know "with more certainty" in the next few days.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; July 21st, 2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: adding EX3 info etc..
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Well all my additional audio gear has arrived over the last week or so and I'm very pleased with it all. I have not had a chance to use the G2 wireless systems yet but it all looks very well made/designed. I really like the boom pole/boom buddy and Rycote system and when I get a chance I'll rig it all up and do some test shoots to confirm I've understood how it all works and understand the capabilities I now have before I need to use any of it 'in action'.

I did have a chance today to use my new Sony MDR7506 Pro studio monitor 'phones - on something I'd edited a few months ago. Wow! - I heard sounds (and alas quite a few faults!) that I never realised where there in the audio at all! I'm already convinced these were an excellent suggestion as was the other gear. Thanks again everyone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio