lav microphones for weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
The discussion re wiring women seemed to kicked off from me referring to black and white lavs. I would never wire a bride. The white lav is simply for when such a mic would make the mic less intrusive, like when a groom has a white shirt and white tie.
I have to ask, why not?
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
I have to ask, why not?
I'm curious about this too.. If the idea is to get the audio along with the video, then it seems to make sense to wire up as many people as you can. When we shoot films, we don't skimp on who gets wired (OK, sometimes we do), why should it be any different for a wedding?

By the way, I agree with Dan. I've had very few professional actors who were timid about baring it all for me, so I could wire them up. Those who have worked in Theatre seem especially open, which makes sense because they are using doing costume changes out in the open due to time constraints. It's when you work with new actors or people who don't normally act that tend to have issues with a man "handling" them. As I said, be smart and everything should be fine.

Wayne
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
I have to ask, why not?
Every part of a wedding dress, in my experience is specifically designed for the look they want to achieve. I haven't yet heard of a mic being part of that design equation so if one is used it becomes an unplanned for tack on. Grooms suits or similar, and shirts, are more general purpose pieces of clothing with pockets etc and so can accomodate a mic and cable and iriver or transmitter no trouble.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Every part of a wedding dress, in my experience is specifically designed for the look they want to achieve. I haven't yet heard of a mic being part of that design equation so if one is used it becomes an unplanned for tack on. Grooms suits or similar, and shirts, are more general purpose pieces of clothing with pockets etc and so can accomodate a mic and cable and iriver or transmitter no trouble.
A mic like the Countryman B6 is so tiny that it can be concealed almost anywhere - go inside the bodice line and it's totally totally concealed. Transmitter needs a bit more creativity but there's a lot of places it can go under the dress - you don't need pockets in the garment to put it in or a trousers belt to hang it on.

Just had an idea - start lobbying the wedding dress industry that they begin making a transmitter pocket or loop for it to clip to on the underside of the dress! :)

Last edited by Steve House; July 21st, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:00 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Every part of a wedding dress, in my experience is specifically designed for the look they want to achieve. I haven't yet heard of a mic being part of that design equation so if one is used it becomes an unplanned for tack on.
You don't tack it on, you place it under. I will admit it's second nature of me and others who have worked in film to do this, because this is simply part of the routine. Recently I've been doing a lot more ENG interviews and such, where clipping on the microphone is more common. It has actually been fun to do these types of shoots because you don't have to worry about clothing noise as much.

If you're not use to hiding the microphone, it can take some work to get it right where you don't have clothing rustle, but when done correctly, your audio will sound much better. The Countryman, Sanken, Tram, or DPA mics all are tiny enough to hide without much of a problem, so you might consider using one next time (should you decide to wire up the bride). As far as the transmitter goes, use an ACE bandage and wrap it around the bride's leg, with the transmitter in between the bandage. This is where you will probably need help from bride's mother, female sound person, or another female who can help you out.

Wayne

Wayne
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:15 AM   #21
Inner Circle

One practical problem is that the bride is usually the last person to arrive, so any rigging of radio mikes will have to be done where she's dressing. I'd done know about the USA, but here that's commonly some distance away and then she's driven to a church or registry office. She then sweeps out of the car straight into the church.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:34 PM   #22
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas Avis View Post
I have read that for weddings it is best to put a lav mic on the groom and use a shotgun for back up.
My question is that if the bride has a quieter voice than the groom, surely if the lav is on the groom, the audio would have a really loud groom and a really quiet bride. The registrar would also be an issue, depending on their voice and the distance they are from the groom.(Bearing in mind I will only have one lav mic)
Would using a hypercardioid microphone like a rode nt3 on a boom stand placed near the bride, groom and registrar be a good idea.( or would another set up be advised)
Help is very much appreciated!
If you're using the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless with the stock ME2 cardioid, try mounting the lav lower than normal on the groom's shirt. In other words, position the lav mic between the sternum and belly button. Adjust the sensitivity on the Transmitter to around -10 or 0. You'll spend less time in post riding the levels since the mouth to mic distance will be more equal.

If you can spend a few extra bucks, go for the Countryman B6 lav that a few others have mentioned. Easy to hide and sounds great. Just be careful of the cable. It's thin. If you want to hear it, there is an example video online where I tested it out with a local singer playing acoustic guitar. She's mic'd up with the B6 on a Sennheiser wireless. Fed directly into camera, no mixer. http://www.dvcreators.net/countryman-b6-lavalier/
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #23
Major Player

No hassle with wireless.
Just 2 x Samson Zoom H2 digital recorder, 2 x lav mic and you are set below 500 USD. 96 kHz quality and also has its own perfect built in mics. 4 OZ per piece, fits in the pocket of the groom.
Add a cheapo Blackberry case with a belt clip for the minister and you are on the go.

(don't forget to clap after you started both devices, so later you can sync no sweat)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio