GL2 + Beachtek DXA-6 +AT835b? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 1st, 2003, 01:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 + Beachtek DXA-6 +AT835b?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Dxa-6 and a AT836b to my Canon GL2 (XM2). Have anyone tried that? Since I don't have much money, do I need the dxa-6 to get the best sound from the at835b or can I do with a simple xlr-miniplug converter?

If I want to mount it on the camera, what shall I buy that is good enough to isolate the mic from, for example, handlingnoise?
I'm thinking of ordering from b&h, even though I live in Sweden, so to be dissapointed after having received everything is not something I want because of the long and expensive p&p.

Thank you in advance
Old August 1st, 2003, 05:32 AM   #2
Major Player

You might want to look at the XLR-H8/DV adapter at http://www.equipmentemporium.com/audiofor.htm
They also carry the BeachTek and their own well-reviewed versions of it. I use the DXA-4 with a VX2000, and mount the mic to the shoe on my miniRover (www.videosmith.com) to keep it clear of cam noise.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 02:08 PM   #3
Major Player

The DXA-6 provides Phantom power and is way too much for what you are going to use it with.

Instead I would recommend you to look at the new Beachtek DXA-2 which has only one mic input and also has an aux input in case you need it and sells for around $120.

If $120 is still too much, consider using the Shure A96F adapter/transformer which sell for under $40 but has no volume control.

If two mic inputs is what you are looking for, the Sign Video XLR-PRO is an excellent box for jus $150.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thank you Marty and David!

but what about the Sound Devices MM-1? Does the dxa-6 or XLR-PRO have comparable soundquality? I don't know much about this. Perhaps I would have saved money for the MM-1, but since it doesn't have 2 inputs I don't want that preamp.
Azden SGM-2x or AT835b? Is the ME66 significantly better then those two?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio