DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless Mic, sennheiser ew122p? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/127337-wireless-mic-sennheiser-ew122p.html)

Sean Seah August 4th, 2008 08:49 AM

Wireless Mic, sennheiser ew122p?

I was recommended the EW122p for wedding use. Anyone tried this before? I can't find it on Senny website. Is it obselete? I'm not sure if it works well but it was written it is an export set.

Martin Mayer August 4th, 2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 916200)
I was recommended the EW122p for wedding use. Anyone tried this before? I can't find it on Senny website. Is it obselete? I'm not sure if it works well but it was written it is an export set.

The "G2" range is the current version. See here: http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/21411

Make sure:
(a) you get the correct version for your country (different - legal - frequencies) - check here and
(b) you investigate if you need the 500G2 series instead (as opposed to the 100G2 series you mention). A few more features, like phantom powering for mikes, headphone outputs from the receivers, more preset frequencies, etc. but not available in kits like the ew122pG2, you have to buy the (more expensive) components you need separately. Compare them here.

Jeff Kellam August 4th, 2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 916200)

I studied the wireless systems recommended on here for a while before making a decision. I tried the Sennheiser G2 kit from B&H (about $500ish I think) for a wedding. It's really a fairly nice kit for the money. However, the the ME-2 (I think) mic that comes with it sounded poor and the signal transmission system seemed to have a softening, almost limiter like effect to it. I immediately sent it back.

I got a Lectrosonics 100 series next and highly reccomend it over the Sennheiser kit based on the sound quality. It's more of a tool where the Sennheiser had a bit of a consumer feel to it.

You could probably put another mic on the G2 kit and brighten/liven up the sound, but I would bite the bullet now and spend the money on a Lectrosonics.

Sean Seah August 4th, 2008 10:01 PM

Thks for the inputs. We do not seem to have Lectrosonics here! As for the senny, my country isnt even on the list!

Hsien Yong August 4th, 2008 10:55 PM

Dude, Lectrosonics is distributed by Hung Bros.

Sean Seah August 5th, 2008 10:38 AM

Ah thanks! Wow the price is almost doubled. I would certainly expect better quality for that price.

Hsien Yong August 5th, 2008 06:25 PM

Yah. I think the Sennheiser's are more value for money...

Lectros are not cheap.

Gary Nattrass August 5th, 2008 07:18 PM

Also if you felt that the sound was limited check the level settings on the trans and receiver they are really good and way better than any pro micron I have ever used.

Jimmy Tuffrey August 5th, 2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 917007)
...way better than any pro micron I have ever used.

?
What was that about Microns...?

Sean Seah August 5th, 2008 09:20 PM

Gary, I assume you are talking about the lectrosonics 100 being more superior?

Gary Nattrass August 6th, 2008 03:39 AM

I have used Microns for most of my TV career and they are very pro radio mics but all they have for adjusting levels is a single pot which changes the threshold of the in built limiter.

The sennheiser 112 radio mics I have have a superb menu system that allows you to change lots of things including accurate levels which can be checked on the meter, all the microns had was two leds.

I am not saying the microns are inferior as they are much more £££ than the sennys but the 112's have a great set up system.

Hope this clarifies that I was talking about the sennheiser operational set-up.