Sound Devices 302 vs. Mixpre - Page 2 at

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Major Player
Originally Posted by Corwin Garber View Post
If im gonna be working with only 2 microphones at a givin time, is there any reason why i should go Sound devices 302 over the mixpre? what are the differences?

Also, is it worth the mixer if i only have two tracks? Or should i plug the mics directly into a recorder?

Third, whats a solid recorder that can record 2 tracks of 24bit audio from xlr sources? around 1000?

I also like my tascam hd-p2, which I see oade bros also sells, although I have the unmodded version which has been great ($815 from B&H).. I can't compare that to the marantz for features since I don't know the marantz unit (that one looks nice too) but may be worth considering or comparing
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM   #17
Major Player
I have a mixpre and while i dont *regret* the purchase, I do have a lustful eye out for more channels (but perhaps more than 3?) Although I think the mixpre will be relegated to a boom mixer/unit to rent out to noobs.

The most obvious issue is that once i got more than 2 mics, I couldn't mix them.

A more everyday issue is that the mixpre ONLY outputs line level +4 audio over the xlrs. If you have a camera/recorder that only takes mic level inputs, then you gotta buy pads and put them in line and its just clumsy and not ideal.

A pro in favor of the mixpre is the size/weight. Its significantly smaller and lighter than the 302. In its petrol bag, two sennheiser g2 receivers basically take up the full width of the bag.

The limiters in the mixpre/302 are magic compared to most camera inputs. When running 1-man-army mode, i often get a rough level on the mixpre then forget about it unless something major changes. It handles the random shout like a champ.

All that said, if you buy a 302... chances are extremely slim that you'll regret it.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM   #18
Inner Circle
FYI - you can change the 302's ouput to mic level via the menu.
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio