Rode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Rode

I just had a good experience with Rode tech support, I just wanted to give a shout out to Rode, I'll be shoving more of my money their way.
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
I just had a good experience with Rode tech support, I just wanted to give a shout out to Rode, I'll be shoving more of my money their way.
Nice to hear. Companies with good support are worth supporting.
David Adamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Major Player

FWIW, I've had several great customer service experiences with Rode, they covered something under warranty even though it wasn't covered. Great people.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Although I've no personal experience of this (yet) I've heard time and time again about just how good Rode are with customer support...which is why nearly every mic I now buy comes from them. Love 'em or lose 'em. Support the ones that do it right.
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Although I've no personal experience of this (yet) I've heard time and time again about just how good Rode are with customer support...which is why nearly every mic I now buy comes from them. Love 'em or lose 'em. Support the ones that do it right.
I had a SM3 shockmount replaced under warranty when it part of the plastic gave way. Luke Carter at HHB Communications was most helpful.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Major Player

In the other hand we have had absolutely no customer support from Rode as the European support relies on resellers and there are no resellers here in Estonia and resellers in Finland obviously won't take any responsibility for overseas imports - so dead end here.
It all started years ago when the VideoMic's defective rubber bands deteriorated, and the replacements were off the spec - too loose...
... couldn't use Rode products ever since.
Now with the NTG3 we're hoping that it simply won't let us down.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Major Player

My first contact was emailing Rode directly, and Peter Freedman answered personally and put me in touch with those stateside who would handle the situation. a little detail. I had purchased an NT2 used, it arrived damaged, one of the solders on the screen broke, Fedex wouldn't cover it. I contacted Rode, PF replied, I sent the mic to California where they not only replaced the screen, but the entire element, and all it cost me was the shipping out to CA. Several years later I inquired where I might buy replacement bands for my shockmount. I never did get a reply, but got a few weeks later found an envelope in my mailbox with two complete sets inside.

Toenis, have you contacted Rode directly about your issue?
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

What's interesting here (and highly unusual) is that the president of the company took action.

Toenis, it would be interesting to know how things would have turned out had you contacted Rode directly instead of the locals.

I've always found Rode very responsive.

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I knew Henry Freedman a very clever gentleman and Peters dad. Pete's a chip off the old block and the whole company is family. I don't mean they're all Freedmans, just...they are a family.

A lot of folk think it's Greek origin, but here's how they decided on the name RODE. Years ago when they had their first mic. they sent it round the studios here to get some opinions.

Someone replied...that mic will sell like a rat up a drainpipe. Rodent...RODE get it! TRue story.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
I knew Henry Freedman a very clever gentleman and Peters dad. Pete's a chip off the old block and the whole company is family. I don't mean they're all Freedmans, just...they are a family.

A lot of folk think it's Greek origin, but here's how they decided on the name RODE. Years ago when they had their first mic. they sent it round the studios here to get some opinions.

Someone replied...that mic will sell like a rat up a drainpipe. Rodent...RODE get it! TRue story.

Cheers.
I recently found my stereomic had a massive chunk missing on the hotshoe. I dont suppose they sell replacement parts ?
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Barry, you mean the Rode StereoVideomic? If so call customer support at Silverwater on Monday.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post

Cheers.
Duh! I must be slipping - my brain (what's left of it) usually works by finding excruciating puns and bizarre associations, but I missed that one completely. And that's after buying 2:
Rode nt 1a's and a
Rode nt g 2

It must have been the capitalisation in the model numbers.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Toenis, it would be interesting to know how things would have turned out had you contacted Rode directly instead of the locals.
Ty
Actually I contacted Rode support directly several times and I was redirected to local reseller.
But as we've imported our gear from the US it was a dead end - a small European reseller won't cover warranties of imported gear - You know I was asking for trouble there.
And those were the times when all the videomic rubber bands started to fail and Rode designed the new replacement silicone ones that were a bit too elastic so I can understand that the direct support didn't want to deal with all the $5 problems. Haven't used our videomic for two years since.

I'm not so worried about other Rode gear as I'm still a believer.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio