Timecode survival guide at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Timecode survival guide

Okay, this same Red shoot I've posted about earlier is apparently a timecode production with DAT and timecode slate. I hate the way information is dribbling out to me. The shoot is on Monday. I know nothing about timecode. Can someone give me an idiot's guide to what is involved here. I'm aware of the craziness of my request, but this is the spot I'm in.

What are the basics I need to know and questions I need to ask of the producers. Help, please, I'm dying ...
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Marco,

I will try to assist.

What role are you playing?

For example, are you in charge of audio?

Are you going to record dual-system sound?

You mention a DAT and timecode slate.

Will you really be using a DAT? What model? Does it have timecode capabilities? The Tascam DAT did not have timecode capabilities.

If you are going to use a timecode slate, what device is going to be the master timecode clock. Usually the most stable device is the timecode master.

What timecode slate will you be using? Is it the Deneke or Ambient timecode slate?

I own and am familiar with the Ambient timecode slate and this can be the timecode master.

For most cameras, it is easy to "jam" (sync up) the camera to the slate.

If you use a Sound Devices 744t or other "t" model recorder, then it can be the timecode master.

You need to find out if the producer, or director, wants to use "Record-Run" time code. If so, then you will usually need to be tethered (the slate, camera, and audio recorder will need to be cabled together or you will need a wireless transmitter as a substitute.

If you can use 24 hour - free run timecode, then the units will not need to be tethered together at all times. They will just need to be connected briefly (for about 10 seconds) every few hours to "jam" (re-sync).

There are many other considerations. I will try to help. I will send you my phone number via a PM.
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
If you can use 24 hour - free run timecode, then the units will not need to be tethered together at all times. They will just need to be connected briefly (for about 10 seconds) every few hours to "jam" (re-sync).
If you are doing a night shoot and you will be crossing midnight, you will need to make one minor modification, drop back twelve hours. You need to do this so that you don't cross the midnight time and have a day change on you. You can also use 00000 as your starting timecode and then you have the number of hours, but it's not tied to the actual time. However, this can be problematic.

Also find out from the people doing post what they want time code wise. From what I understand (I haven't worked with the RED) you're either going to be using 24 or 29.97 NDF as your time code frame rate, but check with the people doing post.

Wayne

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio