Please help: VX2 and Sennheiser MKE300 compatibility issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Please help: VX2 and Sennheiser MKE300 compatibility issue

Greetings,

I just got a Sennheiser MKE300 for my VX2000 and faced with the notorious hiss sound. I read several threads on dvinfo and understood that MKE300's output is too high for the camera but it still can be manipulated. But how? I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
Sukru Ilicak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 11:55 PM   #2
Wrangler

While I've not married a 2000 and the 300, I've had independent experience with both. I think the 300 is way too hot for the 2000 and I'd guess you are going to have a hard time taming it.

And if you get the high level controlled, it has the nasty reputation of picking up every little bit of camera noise.
Old August 4th, 2003, 03:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Is it a hiss or a hum, because I had a 300 and it produced a horrible hum sound which was well documented on www.dvdoctor.net, John Willet from Sennheiser is a regular on that forum and made a lot of good comments on the problems. If it is a hum then it's picking up transmitted mechanical noise through the mic. Personally I don't think the 300 and VX2k are a very good pairing, the K6/ME66 is a much better mic for the VX2k. You'll probably find if you hold the mic away from the camera your noise will go away, if it doesn't however then there may be another problem because the 300 shouldn't be too hot.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #4
Wrangler

Even the K6 is too hot for the 2000. Sennheiser even makes a reduced output version of the K6 because of this type of problem.
Old August 4th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #5
New Boot

Well, it seems that I am going to return the MKE300 tomorrow. Could you recommend a good mic for VX2000. I am shooting interviews and sound quality is as important as the picture, even more.

Thank you,
Sukru Ilicak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:49 PM   #6
Wrangler

I'm going to move this thread to the sound forum where there are three or four threads going on right now on this same subject.

I you have to have a camera mounted microphone then you will want a microphone mount. Light Wave makes one that works well. The shotgun is sort of up to you. Audio Technica 835B, Sennheiser ME66 with the reduced gain K6 and, of course, many more expensive microphones are available.

If you have an assistant, then put the microphone in something like Light Wave's Super Mount. Or you could have the 300 hand held but I gotta tell you I don't like that microphone for a lot of reasons.

You will need an XLR to mini-plug adapter. That can be a $75 Shure or a $120 Sign Video XLR adapter (or one of many other brands).
Old August 4th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Why couldn't you just pad the mic down?
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 04:16 AM   #8
Major Player

I wouldn't get the low output K6, all you need to do is run the K6 in manual mode and bring the level down, it makes for hiss free audio that sounds great, but if you don;t want to run manual just do what brian suggests and put a -10 or -20 pad in there and that does the trick.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 05:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Sukru Ilicak : Well, it seems that I am going to return the MKE300 tomorrow. Could you recommend a good mic for VX2000. I am shooting interviews and sound quality is as important as the picture, even more. >>>

I've had exceptionally good luck with the Azden SGM-2X on both my GL2 and VX2000. Also, having had the Senn ME66 as well, I actually prefer the SGM-2X over it because of it's tighter "cone" and more accurate bass/low end.
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #10
Wrangler

John,

I don't see or read about a K6 'manual mode' on the K6 or in the book. Can you clarify that? I'd guess you made a typo and you meant the camera audio level.

However, people have reported that that didn't work for them. I'd guess it was because the microphone was distorting, not the signal in the camera.

A pad will work but I'd think the adapter could bring down the signal level too.

Someday we will find someone with experience, some test equipment and a K5/ME66/XLR adapter/VX2000 and test the system. I can supply everything but the VX2000. Oh, and I can get ahold of a MKE-300 too.
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Perhaps I'm just not critical enough, but I'm perfectly happy with the MKE 300 on my VX2000. I will admit that I have not used it much in the on-camera mount. I have recorded a couple of hours of voice-over with the mic mounted on an old tabletop tripod.

I'll have to try some more with the mic on camera using only the hotshoe mount of the VX2000 to see if I can find some hum.

The reason I bought the MKE 300 is its price and the higher output level. Running in manual gain mode, you can keep the gain around 40% and avoid most of the VX2000's inherent hissy performance.
"Before they are gone forever..."
Ralph Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 02:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Mike,

Yeah I meant the camera audio level, typing too fast as usual :)

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio