DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   New Lav mic for EW100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/127975-new-lav-mic-ew100.html)

James Klatt August 13th, 2008 02:36 PM

New Lav mic for EW100

So I am shooting on a documentary that will be going camping for 4 days with 5-8 children and 4 leaders.

Currently, we are using the ME66/K6 shotgun and the ew100 wireless lav on the XDCAm Ex1. We are also thinking of replacing the on camera shotgun mic with a boom in the field.

My question is that the lav that came with the ew100 wireless system is shot or is having some connectivity issues, so we need to replace the lav mic(but no the unit).

Can anybody give their best recommendation for a sub $200 lav mic to work in the woods while walking. The lav wood be on our lead trekking instructor. Thanks!

Bill Pryor August 13th, 2008 02:52 PM

If you're happy with the Sennheiser mic that came with the system, you can replace it for about $130 from B&H. Next step would be a Tram, for about $230. I think the Tram is a seriously better mic and worth the money. However, it sounds sharper to me and might be prone to picking up more clothes rustle, etc.

Abe Dolinger August 13th, 2008 04:55 PM

I'd recommend a Tram or used Sennheiser MKE-2. Both are usually available sub-200

Jack Walker August 13th, 2008 05:45 PM

The Audio Technica AT899 would be good... about $160. It comes with a lot of attachment accessories.

To get the right connector you might have to buy it from Trew Audio, Location Sound or the like, where they can put the right connector on the pig-tail version of the mic.

Toenis Liivamaegi August 14th, 2008 05:38 AM

This $100 Provider Series is being compared to Countryman B6
PROVIDER SERIES LOW PROFILE LAVALIER MICROPHONE FOR SENNHEISER 3.5MM CONNECTOR BELTPACK. COLOR-BLACK | JIREH SUPPLIES 1-800-478-2591
...as Michael Nistler recommends
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...tml#post916499

For sub $160 you can get the Countryman EMW too EMW Omni Classic Lavalier - Countryman Associates, Inc. Kevlar reinforced cable and everything...

T

Jimmy Tuffrey August 14th, 2008 06:57 AM

If you where happy with what you had, chop the mini jack of and re-solder as it is probably the cable near the plug that has gone dodgy. Seen it happen many times with the cheap plastic cable those ME2's have.

Jeff Kellam August 14th, 2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 920207)
If you're happy with the Sennheiser mic that came with the system, you can replace it for about $130 from B&H. Next step would be a Tram, for about $230. I think the Tram is a seriously better mic and worth the money. However, it sounds sharper to me and might be prone to picking up more clothes rustle, etc.

Based on my recent purchase and testing, the Tram mic sounds much better. Much crisper. Good point about the clothes rustle, you would certainly not have to worry about that much with the stock mic. If you were capturing audio while walking and clanging down a trail, the muffled sound of the stock mic might sound better, I would test them both.

Get the Tram and repair the connector on the stock mic as Jimmy suggested. I would test and use both.

Forgot to add:

I shot a camping trip back in April and didn't take a boom. All the on-camera shotgun sound was very poor. The wireless sound was very good (all stationary sound captures, not hiking). Also, everything was pretty well covered with dirt and ash at the end of the trip.

Guy Cochran August 14th, 2008 01:37 PM

For under $200, I would consider the Countryman B3 with Sennheiser connector. I was testing one in a video I put up on Vimeo. You can listen to it here Sennheiser MKE400 and Litepanels Micro on a Canon HV20 on Vimeo
I can get you that used one if you want a deal on it PM me.
I prefer the B6 and as others have recommended, the Sennheiser MKE-2, both are pushing over $300 though. B3 is best bang for buck if you do not mind the size.

Ilya Spektor August 14th, 2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Tuffrey (Post 920394)
If you where happy with what you had, chop the mini jack of and re-solder as it is probably the cable near the plug that has gone dodgy. Seen it happen many times with the cheap plastic cable those ME2's have.

You can also call Sennheiser and ask for replacement lav ME-2: they will exchange the bad one for a new one for $79 + Tax, if I remember it correctly... UPS them your unit at your expense, and they will pay for UPS for the new one...

There is also another option: Giant Squid - only $25. I always keep it as a back-up...

Ty Ford August 15th, 2008 05:27 AM

There's a lot of juju between the mic and the preamp in wireless mics. You can't just say a particular lav will sound better with all transmitters.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jeff Kellam August 15th, 2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 920694)
There's a lot of juju between the mic and the preamp in wireless mics. You can't just say a particular lav will sound better with all transmitters.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Im a novice, but I certainly agree and am learning there is a lot of stuff going on in the wireless transmitters and recievers to alter the sound quality. There seem to be filters and limiters in some that are not even documented in the literature.

Im learning the hard and expensive way. Although thankfully, B&H is very accommodating to returns within 15 days.

James Klatt August 16th, 2008 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the responses..they are so helpful! I am still weighing options and will decide soon. :)