DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Best way to hook up lavalier mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/128130-best-way-hook-up-lavalier-mic.html)

Sean Seah August 16th, 2008 02:19 PM

Best way to hook up lavalier mic?

I just got a wireless lav, the Senny Ew112p with ME2 omni mic. I like to mic wedding vows and interviews. Some folks say it is better to face the mic downwards. Is that true? I also remb there is a way to clip the mic to the suit with some slack in line. Something like making a loop so that if the cable is pulled, the mic remains ok. However I cant remb how it is down alr. Any photos showing a good way would be appreciated!

Steve House August 16th, 2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 921146)
I just got a wireless lav, the Senny Ew112p with ME2 omni mic. I like to mic wedding vows and interviews. Some folks say it is better to face the mic downwards. Is that true? I also remb there is a way to clip the mic to the suit with some slack in line. Something like making a loop so that if the cable is pulled, the mic remains ok. However I cant remb how it is down alr. Any photos showing a good way would be appreciated!

About Lavalier Mics

Some people face the mic down if the subject tends to dip their head and exhale heavily, blowing air across the mic. In terms of the way it sounds, it doesn't make much difference with an omni mic.

Oren Arieli August 17th, 2008 04:35 PM

As an added brownie point, if you find out how the person will be facing (say to the right of a whiteboard), you can also figure that their head will be facing left...and thus a microphone placed on the left lapel will pick up better than one on the right side. This happens quite often in corporate presentations, and the dip/rise in volume is noticeable when a person turns their head.

When in doubt, front and center (high chest) works best. Try no to put the transmitter between the wearer's body and yourself. After all, we're big bags of salt-water and that is not conducive to transmitting radio signals.

Jason Robinson August 22nd, 2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 921166)
About Lavalier Mics

Some people face the mic down if the subject tends to dip their head and exhale heavily, blowing air across the mic. In terms of the way it sounds, it doesn't make much difference with an omni mic.

Thanks for the link to that article. Note to Firefox users..... use IE. Formatting is messed up and unreadable. The text is the same color as background, so you will have to click & drag the whole page.

Ty Ford August 22nd, 2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 921422)
After all, we're big bags of salt-water and that is not conducive to transmitting radio signals.

"Ugly bags of mostly water"

"StarTrek"

Regards,

Ty Ford

Sean Seah August 24th, 2008 01:51 AM

Hey thanks Steve! Really great webby. I remb DSE once thought one of tyhe methods but i forgot it. Its in the webby n now i recall.