If you had an me66 and upgraded I want you to reply! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 4th, 2003, 06:56 AM   #1
Major Player

If you had an me66 and upgraded I want you to reply!

Hi, I have an me66/Softie combo and I've been pretty happy with it up until now.

The mic sounds pretty good, but I recently got a dvx and it sounds like the mic is somewhat lacking now. I've been considering going with a 416 instead.

I'd like to hear from anybody who had an me66 and decided to upgrade it. I want to know why you felt the need to upgrade and what you chose to upgrade to.

Thanks in advance.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Matt
i'm in the same boat right now. my complaint is the off axis coloration and the inability to handle diverse range. It's almost as if the mic was too open.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Beaser! I missed ya' man! Can ya' believe I pulled the trigger on a dvx? I don't know if you remember but I was talking to you before I bought the trv900 and nearly went with a vx2000... you had me thinking that was the cam for me but I went with a dvx anyway. I dunno' exactly why, but I do like it.

Anyway, now that I'm in the game (at least on base cam) as you are it's funny how what was unbelievable sound has become ho-hum to me... The me66 is certainly adequate, but it doesn't seem to do the images I'm getting justice.

That's why I'm leaning to a 416 or at least the AT 4073a... I'm not having too much luck getting help on it though. Also I already sold a Rycote zepp/grip/mount and if I replace my me66 I'll need to move a Softie and the me66... so it's kind of a headache. Craving the "next level" is mentally trying. All I can think is "this sound isn't as good as it SHOULD be." When in reality, it blows away normal consumer sound.

Techno-pig I believe? Oink.

P.S. I saw on another board that you were asking about the m58 and the nd50 handheld mics? Well I've seen the nd50 used on a lot of major productions including one of my favorites, "The Man Show", and the sound was pretty good. As for my own input I got an m58 and I've been quite happy with it. My only caveat is that it HAS to be very close to the source, within 6" for really good sound. That is both a blessing and a curse because you can take this mic to a noisy location and get FANTASTIC narration even over the ambience. The ambience can be heard, but it's EXTREMELY attenuated... this is a good characteristic if the mic is used properly, but a bad characteristic if it's not. If your talent is sloppy with placement you'll be frustrated at the wildly varying sound levels... if on the other hand the talent keeps the mic within 6" when they're talking and 6" when the interviewEE is talking... you'll absolutely love it. It has a "studio" sound because it's so clean on vocals. I intend to use this mic for narration and for any time I want to record voice. It's warm without being muddy and as long as it's close to the mouth, it sounds great.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio