Compressing Audio in Adobe Audition 2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 17th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Compressing Audio in Adobe Audition 2.0

I've recorded several voiceover tracks in Adobe Audition. The "talent" (me and my girlfriend!) have very different voice levels so I'd like to compress the tracks to balance out the volume swings in each individual track, and then normalize the entire group to bring the volume to the same overall level.

The problem is, I have no idea how to do this!

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial, or explain it to me in idiot-proof terms?

Thanks.

P.S. Either the forum search isn't working, or no one has used the terms "normalize", "audio compression" or "audition"!
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Audio mixing can not be explained in idiot proof terms. Its a craft idiots can't learn.
Have you tried reading the manual?
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well firstly the compressor in Audition is part of the Dynamic Processing effects under Amplitude.

If you need a tutorial on compression listen to Bruce Williams' podcasts episodes 10 and 11
I think you will enjoy his podcasts as he is an audio engineer and the Building the Pod casts are all for Audition.

Here is episode 10. Put compression in the search box to find all the related podcasts.

Audio2U Building the pod - episode 010

There is no one button "idiot-proof" way of using a compressor. I won't believe anyone if they say otherwise. The most important parameters are threshold and ratio followed by attack and release times.

The tutorial will help you with how to use these settings and let you experiment. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

Enjoy and use your ears :)
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Ike... downloading it now.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio