DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What type and brand (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/128249-what-type-brand.html)

Jeff Mack August 18th, 2008 08:23 PM

What type and brand

Anyone tell me what the make or model of the lav mic used during the olympics? They have a long clip (maybe 2.5 inches) and there are two capsules with two leads. I'm using the senn g2 and the clips are so small, it's hard to get a solid placement.

Jeff

Phil Bambridge August 19th, 2008 02:02 AM

Probably be a good idea to narrow it down a bit- whose coverage? When and what channel? You're aware how vague this is yes?

Get a frame grab and post it, ideally.

Two completely separate capsules, or something like the Sanken COS-22?

Steve House August 19th, 2008 03:28 AM

Haven't seen the mics but what you usually see on broadcasters isn't a mic with two capsules, it's two entirely separate mics on the same clip. One is the primary, the other a backup so that if the primary fails, gets noisy or whatever, while on the air they can switch to the backup and keep on going without interuption of a live broadcast.

David Beisner August 19th, 2008 07:30 AM

Yeah, Steve's got it... I'm assuming you're talking about the mics you'll see on the broadcasters and their guests (one was on Michael Phelps during his interview the other night). It's two microphones so that if one fails they can switch seamlessly to the other and not worry about creating an interruption in the interview.

As far as which mics they are, I haven't a clue. I can see it in my head, but not clearly enough to make a guess... I seem to remember they were pretty small capsules... maybe the small countryman's? Don't know. As far as the transmitters go, you'd have to call NBC on that one... they're always out of the camera's shot and you'll never know what they are just by watching on TV.

Shaun Roemich August 19th, 2008 08:45 AM

Keep in mind if it's in a "studio", they're probably hardwired, not wireless.

Jeff Mack August 19th, 2008 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry about the vagueness. I thought it was on only one station and who out of 6 billion hadn't seen Bob Costas w/ Phelps? LOL

Here is a screen grab.

Jeff

Gary Nattrass August 19th, 2008 12:13 PM

Yup that is two mics a main and a spare, cant tell from the photo what the model is. In the 80's we used to use sony ecm77b's but sine I mainly work in post now I dont know what the current trend is. They all sound dreadful and even worse on women though and lots of eq is required compared to a desktop mic.

I noticed that the BBC is using headset mics like the countryman.

Jeff Mack August 19th, 2008 12:18 PM

Thanks,

I guess I am pretty naive here. I too thought since it was studio oriented that they would use booms or overheads. I never realized that they would use a primary and a secondary. Thanks guys.

Jeff

Jimmy Tuffrey August 19th, 2008 06:58 PM

It's a bit over the top double micing these girls as they where only guests and where sat right next to each other. Maybe they just keep moving the rig between guests and left it doubled up. Makes sense on the presenter but for guests it's overkill really. Even more so if they are hard wired as opposed to radio.

Studio booms went out of fashion when decent lapel mic's arrived o the scene quite a few years back now.