Blimp System for AT4073a at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 19th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Blimp System for AT4073a

Can anyone recommend a blimp system for the Audio Technica at4073a shotgun mic?
Tim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Long Blimp Windscreen for Microphone ME 67 AT4071 MKH70 - eBay (item 120284882808 end time Sep-16-08 04:01:28 PDT)

Check out the various auctions for the same item because they seem to vary in price asked. I have one and cannot fault its quality. Only no carry case.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Major Player

I have one of those and agree. I just bought an inexpensive tool box at Wallyworld and put it and the accessories inside for a carry case. I think mine set me back about $175, delivered.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Trustee

they look like knock off's of the rycote zepplins. has anyone done a side by side comparison ? they have a short one for $125 which is less then 1/2 of a rycote S.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Major Player

i have several blimps, mostly sennheiser, and thought this could be a great buy as it does look amazingly similar. i have a few gripes with this blimp. granted, it's not a sennheiser despite its similar appearance. on the other hand, it does have a few serious shortcomings to workaround.

first the suspension. i first tried a me67 (it's supposed to accommodate this mic) in the blimp and the suspension was so loose it fails to keep the mic from hitting the inside of the blimp. tightening the bands helps, but the mic is not held in the centerline. so inverting the blimp (it happens) results in the mic again hitting the inside of the blimp. the 816 does not fit, it is too long and due to it's increased weight over the 67 it would be a mess in there anyway.

i cannot get my handle tightened enough to keep the blimp from slowly falling into a downward position. the handle knob you tighten is very flimsy plastic and bends on tightening.

lastly, i have the biggest issue with the "dead cats" provided. there is a very heavy seam that runs right in front of the mic, seriously compromising the sound pickup. it's like having a towel (or two) wrapped around my ears. they could learn a lesson from others and sew a round piece to the front of the fuzzy so not to dull the sound pickup.

So i replaced the c-mounts and the bands on the sled with sennheiser parts i had from a broken mount, which required a bit of machining , the indian sled is not exactly the same dimensions as the senny (nor will it fit into the senny blimp if you care). this made for a vast improvement in handling and results in equal spacing between top and bottom of the mic. i also put the c-mounts at the ends of the sled to help balance the longer mics. the pistol grip and nut were replaced with the sennheiser versions, and I reversed the mounting sled so the handle is now more in the center of the blimp instead of all the way to one end. much less fatiguing to handle now. i tossed both of the dead cats due to the seam issue, and replaced with the long sennheiser fuzzy and now feel like i have a properly functioning blimp.

Still much less than a sennheiser if you have broken blimps to scavenge, but be advised you do get want you pay for...i do like that i can convert it to the smaller size and use it with my 416. just need a short fuzzy now...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

So what name-brand blimp would you guys recommend for the at4073a?
Tim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte View Post
first the suspension. i first tried a me67 (it's supposed to accommodate this mic) in the blimp and the suspension was so loose it fails to keep the mic from hitting the inside of the blimp. tightening the bands helps, but the mic is not held in the centerline. so inverting the blimp (it happens) results in the mic again hitting the inside of the blimp. the 816 does not fit, it is too long and due to it's increased weight over the 67 it would be a mess in there anyway.

i cannot get my handle tightened enough to keep the blimp from slowly falling into a downward position. the handle knob you tighten is very flimsy plastic and bends on tightening.

lastly, i have the biggest issue with the "dead cats" provided. there is a very heavy seam that runs right in front of the mic, seriously compromising the sound pickup. it's like having a towel (or two) wrapped around my ears. they could learn a lesson from others and sew a round piece to the front of the fuzzy so not to dull the sound pickup.
I respectfully disagree.... and it may just be manufacturing tolerance in inexpensive stuff.

I have used a AT4073 and an AT815 long shotgun in my Indian blimp.... with excellent results and none of the problems described above. Mine holds the mics in suspension quite well. I have not had the handle tightening problems described either, though I admit the plastic handle. They offer a blimp extension which I ordered as part of mine for the price above and I can handle most anything inside it.

The deadcats are... well... not all that great. I'll leave it to you to figure out the best solution. I have and do use mine with success, but do hope to replace them with home-made someday. I think the seam issue mentioned it splitting hairs though.

Spend your money as you wish. For $175 I am not looking back... and yes I have done some engineering on mine myself too.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio