DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mic Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/128478-mic-advice.html)

Kiflom Bahta August 22nd, 2008 04:19 AM

Mic Advice

Hi guys i need a good stero mic for a very loud, live event to used with my A1. My budget about $300. I was looking at thre rode stero video mic and AT stero but don't anything about those mic, so any help will be great. thx

David Beisner August 22nd, 2008 09:15 AM

That's about all you'll find for a stereo mic in that price range... good stereo mics typically run in the $1k+ range.

Mike Beckett August 22nd, 2008 10:08 AM

I use the Beyer MCE72, which costs around $370 at B&H. Clearly not in the same class as the $1000+ Audio Technica, but it suffices for me.

I posted a sample here last December, the links are still valid: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/811843-post28.html

I haven't used it at a very loud live event, but the steam train in that clip was pretty loud to me. My Sony V1 allows me to adjust the audio levels and set the input trim as well, presumably the A1 has similar.

The Rode SVM is pretty good for the money, in my opinion, I have used it in the past. You could make or buy a lead to plug it into your XLR sockets on the camera if it doesn't have a 3.5mm mic socket already.

Both mics are pretty good for general "atmospheric" noise. I'm not sure they'd be great at (say) picking out vocals over a cros or other music.

Mark Viducich August 22nd, 2008 10:37 AM

stereo mic

there is a gentleman selling a rode nt4 in the classified section of this forum for what appears to be a good price. also this is a decent stereo mic at that price point.

Kiflom Bahta August 27th, 2008 12:29 AM

The place i will filming is very loud joint. I see the SVM have a 10db pad. Do you guys think it is enough, I will be using A1.

Steve House August 27th, 2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta (Post 925432)
The place i will filming is very loud joint. I see the SVM have a 10db pad. Do you guys think it is enough, I will be using A1.

It's hard to say, it depends on how loud the environment is. The SVM is rated for a maximum of 134dBSPL, the NT-4 somewhat higher at 143dBSPL. The problem you could face is extremely loud sound can overload the mic's capsule and internal electronics itself, well upstream of any pads.

If you're in a place that loud, be sure to wear hearing protection. If it's loud enough that it leaves your ears ringing, you're at the level that you're doing permanent damage. A lot of rock performers and stage crews have learned that the hard way. In-ear monitors that block external sound become a must.

Jim Boda August 27th, 2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta (Post 923380)
Hi guys i need a good stero mic for a very loud, live event to used with my A1. My budget about $300. I was looking at thre rode stero video mic and AT stero but don't anything about those mic, so any help will be great. thx

I would start by qualifying if you really need a stereo mic. Most very loud live events are mixed MONO. The low frequencies that tend to dominate these events are non directional. Are you expecting to get a good stereo image in this invironment?

Wayne Brissette August 27th, 2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 925465)
It's hard to say, it depends on how loud the environment is. The SVM is rated for a maximum of 134dBSPL, the NT-4 somewhat higher at 143dBSPL. The problem you could face is extremely loud sound can overload the mic's capsule and internal electronics itself, well upstream of any pads.

My experience in recording music in live venues is that you tend to overload the recording device's front end (pre-amps, A/D converter, etc.) before you overload the capsule. A typical jet taking off is in the 140-150 dB range, while some concerts CAN be at or near this level, most city ordinances cap venues well below that volume (here it's in the 125-130 range, I forget the exact number).

I would concern myself more with trying to pad (AKA, attenuate) the signal going into the camera/recording device.

Wayne

Steve House August 27th, 2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette (Post 925545)
My experience in recording music in live venues is that you tend to overload the recording device's front end (pre-amps, A/D converter, etc.) before you overload the capsule. A typical jet taking off is in the 140-150 dB range, while some concerts CAN be at or near this level, most city ordinances cap venues well below that volume (here it's in the 125-130 range, I forget the exact number).

I would concern myself more with trying to pad (AKA, attenuate) the signal going into the camera/recording device.

Wayne

I agree, and with mics like the Rode SVM there isn't much you can do about overloading the internal electronics anyway, if the built in pad isn't enough. For that matter, do we even know if its pad is between the capsule and the internal preamp like a Schoeps DCZ-10 or DZC-20 would be when it's used or is on the output side of the mic?

Kiflom Bahta August 28th, 2008 12:05 AM

Thanks for the great info guys. The A1 have 20db pad which i always use but i think 20db is a bit to much cuz sometimes sounds a bit muffled specially the bass. But i see the SVM have a 10db and iam hoping it would be enough and not distort.

Steve House August 28th, 2008 03:08 AM

A pad should only reduce the level, it shouldn't make it sound muffled or change the frequency distribution.