Looking For Wireless Lav System - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sotar View Post
Hmmm...I'm used to B&H's site with how they spec the products.

This seems to be the same product (very nice, may buy it) on B&H's site. I've only purchased from them (so far) for my gear. Is Zotz cheaper or better in some way? They make you request quotes as opposed to telling you the price up front.
Yeah, Zotz doesn't give you the "instant gratification" that other sites do. It's nice to get in contact with a rep and have a guy you can call on and ask questions to which is what you get at Zotz. B&H seems to be a hassle to get in touch with people at times. I've bought from both. And either way I've never had a problem.

Zotz will give you a fair price, but if you're a newbie, which it sounds like you are, it might behoove you to call them up and see what they can do for.

What you picked out from B&H has the "plug in transmitter" which allows you to plug in a microphone which makes it wireless, or you can plug in the output of a mixer to it, and send the signal wirelessly to your camera, which is really helpful for concerts, speaking events, anything where you want to get "house" sound. It adds about $150 to the price, but well worth it.
Paul Podraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM   #17
Contributor

You can also call Tapeworks Texas and talk to Scott. Both those place, TT and Zotz, have real people who spend the time to talk with you about things. Great customer service from both.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Podraza View Post
Zotz will give you a fair price, but if you're a newbie, which it sounds like you are, it might behoove you to call them up and see what they can do for.
Yeah, I'm a newbie, but I shouldn't be. I'm proficient with the editing side of things, but haven't really used "good" equipment until now. I really appreciate the advice you people are giving me.

Now, my question is frequency...I notice on B&H's site they mention the Sennheiser G2s have 4 different frequency ranges they can each use, but then at the same time they say something to the effect "this works on channel A" or "this one is set channel B". I'm a tad baffled. Which frequency range should I pick? I live in Richmond, VA, which has a population of about 200,000 people. What if I move to Los Angeles or New York? Is there going to be a problem with which frequency set I pick?
David Sotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #19
Major Player

David,
Totally call Zotz Digital. Actually, I filled out the "Contact Us" form on their website and I got a call from Tom just a few hours later. Or you can call them. He was very helpful in suggesting a few different models and he was able to talk to the strong and weak points of each system, not that any really have any "weak" points. But you get my drift.

Also, someone said something earlier about AC power for my Samson Airline system, then someone mentioned having to plug it into the wall...??? What? It's just a little wireless transmitter, and a little wireless receiver. They each take a AAA battery. There's no wall plug... :)

Good luck picking a unit. I'm never further than 15-20' from my subject, so range hasn't been an issue.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Mahoney View Post
Also, someone said something earlier about AC power for my Samson Airline system, then someone mentioned having to plug it into the wall...??? What? It's just a little wireless transmitter, and a little wireless receiver. They each take a AAA battery. There's no wall plug... :)

Good luck picking a unit. I'm never further than 15-20' from my subject, so range hasn't been an issue.
I think that person was referring to the product I linked to in the opening post.

Anyways, I picked up the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100. It works great. I selected it due to the recommendations here.

Thanks to everyone here for helping me.
David Sotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
I use the Sony UWP system.

Works well. Comes with a short XLR adaptor lead.

Seems to have an effective working range of about 100 metres.

Transmitter and receiver run for about 4 hours on rechargable AA batteries.
100 metres? Wow, must be nice! I wouldn't trust mine that far, even outdoors.

I own the first generation UWP system and don't REGRET buying it but wish I would have had the budget for a little better sounding system (Like a Sony WRR 800 series at a couple of grand). Wireless audio in the budget category REALLY SHOULD be a last resort and not for mission critical work, as in "if this messes up, I'm screwed!"

The more one spends (in general terms), the better the wireless. The UWP is a reasonable transmitter/receiver combo but the supplied lavaliere head is AWFUL, although not as awful as the first generation Sennheiser Evolution's supplied lav. You MAY want to look into buying a "real" lavaliere mic for whatever transmitter/receiver package you ultimately purchase.
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sotar View Post
I think that person was referring to the product I linked to in the opening post.

Anyways, I picked up the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100. It works great. I selected it due to the recommendations here.

Thanks to everyone here for helping me.
I've used the G2 and liked it's sound quality significantly better than the G1 Evolution. However, based on personal and anecdotal experience, the AA powered G2 is less robust in terms of distance and noise rejection than the 9v powered G1 Evolution.

Enjoy your purchase, at least until the FCC shuts us ALL down...
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Re. your question about frequencies of a wireless system

David,

Although the below listed Audio-Technica 1800 Series system costs more than the other systems mentioned in this thread, ATW is an excellent choice nevertheless. It's frequency range is UHF Band D: 655.500 to 680.375 MHz. If you put a WTB query in the Private Classifieds, you might find an older system like the ATW 101U system available at a competitive price.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wl...e38/index.html

Now turning to the question of frequencies, someone said you should choose a system that offers bands below 700 Mhz. This is correct as frequencies within the 700 band will be reallocated for other uses by the FCC.

Collis Davis
Collis Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #24
Major Player

I agree with the advice above. The Audio technica ATW101 series (now replaced by the AT800 series) is often available for about half of the newer models and is a darned good workhorse. I have it both with the lav and with a plug on. The plug on is a little disappointing but otherwise the system works great. I am making an antenna for long distance wildlife applications.

If you must go new, the G2 is a great little wireless mic with some nifty features. There is a tutorial on here in a video you may find helpful.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #25
Major Player

I've got an original Sony UWP or UTX system. It is OK and mine came with an ECM77 on a 4pin hirose which was good luck.

100 meters....? I'd get your tape measure out and double check that... either that or I've just got a world record for sprinting!
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio