Lav Missing, Need Replacement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Lav Missing, Need Replacement

My lav mic went missing after a recent gig so I am in need of a replacement mic. I still have the Azden transmitter (though the one time I used the transmitter I was NOT impressed.... far too much static, but this could be because the mic cable is the antenna and it was coiled in the groom's pocket instead of hanging down).

I've read on here about the Giant Squid, and I have found other lav mics, but my main question is what kind of mic will work with the Azden transmitter I have? (purchased here)?

If I buy another mic & transmitter, I would need another receiver, and my MultiRig is getting mighty crowded already (and I lack the budget for a nice G2 system).

So does anyone know of mics that will work with this transmitter as a replacement? What about this mic (local store) or this slightly cheaper mic (both still pretty spendy). The pin outs on each seem specialized and I have no idea if they would work with the Azden transmitter.
Edit: Apparently I am missing the Azden transmitter also. Might be a good time to just start all over.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Well since the transmitter is also AWOL, I suppose now is a good time to look at other methods. I previously have used my Sony MiniDisc recorder. I am a big fan of this device. May be I can switch from a live broadcast audio solution, to just getting a good lav mic for the Sony MD and recording to disc (though this eliminates the ability for me to also record house sound to the MD.... unless I get another MD).

So what Mic might work for the Sony MiniDisc MZ-G750? It has a mic & line plugs.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Trustee

Bump?

So does no one use the MiniDisc device with a mic?
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jason,

The Sound Professionals (www.soundprofessionals.com) makes a full line of lavs and other mics for MD units, with recording samples on their site. Their gear is pretty popular throughout the MD community. Reactive Sounds used to make some really nice mics too, I'm not sure if they're out of business, but you can probably find some nice used gear if you look around a bit.

Yrs,

Hoi

Last edited by Ngo Vinh-Hoi; August 25th, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: URL edit
Ngo Vinh-Hoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
So does no one use the MiniDisc device with a mic?
I don't think you should use an MD recorder with a lavalier mic, except on some special occasion, to replace a wireless mic. The person wearing it will be moving around and there might be error problems due to some bumps.

They are fine if you stay and don't move, as when recording a concert or something, like people used to do with DAT machines or you can do now with CF recorders. But MD and HD based machines better don't move around.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio