New Rode windshield and pistol grip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 26th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Trustee

New Rode windshield and pistol grip

(Admins - I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere, but please merge or move this post.)

Looks like Rode have come to the rescue of the hobbyist again with some audio accessories that are more affordable than the competition.

First, a new windshield that appears to be more like a Rycote softie than a Rode deadcat, available in two sizes, the WS6 and WS7.

Also, a new pistol grip with interchangable mount for different sizes of mics, the PG2.

And finally, there's a pistol grip for the Videomic and Stereo Videomics.

It'd be good to hear from anyone who has tried the new kit out. I'll probably get myself the pistol grip, it looks as functional as the Rycote one and I think it's cheaper too.
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you get a RODE NTG-3 shotgun for a Canon A1 because there's no low cut filters on either you definitely need a windshield and the WS7 is ideal.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Rode NTG-3 and WS7 Windshield

Can anyone confirm that the new WS7 Rode windshield will fit over a NTG-3 AND still leave enough room at it's rear end for you to use a Rode suspension mount on it. I can't see enough from the pictures I've so far found so appreciate any info from those that know.

Also, what about the weight? (Rode SM3 and SM4 mounts barely support the weight of the NTG-3 as discussed elsewhere on here).
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

If you do not push the mic in all the way it will fit but you will have to criss cross the rubbers in order it shoud not sag.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Trustee

I got a rode PG2 and WS6 delivered yesterday and they are the mutts nuts, well made and nice and light and they suit the NTG-1 great. The WS6 is a full softie and fits superbly and works just as good as it has a proper internal basket, its not just a dead cat on some foam.

You can even thread a full xlr cable through the pistol grip handle with plugs on so it is very user friendly, the pg2 also comes with two sized rubber mounts.

I paid £80 delivered for the whole lot and it gives rycote a real run for its money as its over half price and certainly up to the spec.

I am now going to sell my cheapie indian full blimp as this is ideal for small shoots and most outdoor and indoor work.
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The RODE WS6 and WS7 are both similar construction, the WS7 is for longer mics.

Andy, with the WS 7 windshield on the NTG-3, if you pull it on till it just covers the rear vents you're left with 70mm space for a shockmount. The SM3-4 won't cut it, the new RODE PG2 does. Its handle comes with 2 polymer mic mounts, 21-22mm and 19-20mm which supports the NTG-3 very well. The handle also has a threaded hole at the end for a boom.

Gary, I've just got the new RODE Blimp and they wouldn't have released it if the WS6-7 blocked all and every wind. I'd hang onto the Indian full blimp for a while.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; September 18th, 2008 at 01:18 AM. Reason: can't leave Andy unsupported :)
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post

Gary, I've just got the new RODE Blimp and they wouldn't have released it if the WS6-7 blocked all and every wind. I'd hang onto the Indian full blimp for a while.
Allan, does your new RODE Blimp have a furry cover to go over the basket for maximum wind protection? The product page
RØDE Microphones - Blimp
and the datasheet
http://www.rodemic.com/downloads/bli..._datasheet.pdf
both mention a dead wombat but there's no photo showing it.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Yes Colin the Wombat cover comes folded inside the Blimp. Also a cute comb for it and a special long Allen key to adjust the suspension keys inside the Blimp. A nice package.

The Blimp is shipping now but may take a bit to reach all markets.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio