lav wind protection? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Major Player

lav wind protection?

I'm considering either a couple of Rycote Windjammers or the Sticky/Overcover system to reduce wind noise. Most of the people I'd attach them to would be wearing t-shirts, so there's not a lot of hiding options.

Anyone know how resistant the stickies are to being yanked off accidentally? Or which choice would provide better audio?

Thanks.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Furries

The Rycote Furries work well. Depending on what the people you are filming are doing, I'd recommend putting the lav in a Furry and sticking it under the T shirt - unless they are going to be doing something strenuous which might imply cothes rustle. If your lav has a reasonably large pop shield, like the Tram, it can go straight into the Furry. If not (eg COS 11) they supply a foam insert to bulk the mic out and provide more airspace within. I've found three colours of Furry (black, white and grey) if you have to put them above clothing. But underneath protects them more against the wind and the Furry also helps to reduce normal clothes rustle. Rycote say you shouldn't put them under clothing, but I've had nothing but good results doing this.
Nick F.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've never actually used or seen a Rycote Furry in person, but it looks massive from the pictures I've seen. Not sure how you would hide it unless the person was wearing a really loose t-shirt.

The Rycote Overcovers can hold pretty well if applied correctly. The Rycote stickies are as good as any double-sided tape.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm not too concerned about hiding it, but I don't want it to look silly.

Nick, I'm guessing/hoping those Windjammers aren't more than an inch in diameter - preferably less?
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

My wife made small slip covers out of felt that go over my lav mics.

It provides a little wind protection when placed under a t-shirt, and the texture generally resists rubbing noise.

I either clip them to the t-shirt collar or tape them inside the shirt. It's also possible to tape it to the skin under the shirt with medical tape but for people with hairy chests that's not practical.

For sweaty, active people I'll clip it to the shirt collar and tape part of the wire to the shirt as well. I use paper medical tape over the mic on the inside so the hardware doesn't irritate the talent or guest.
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

They are not as large as they appear in the pictures, but bigger than a foam.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fass View Post
I'm not too concerned about hiding it, but I don't want it to look silly.

Nick, I'm guessing/hoping those Windjammers aren't more than an inch in diameter - preferably less?
They're likely not to look very awkward since they are a commonly used item (although I have never used one. ;) ). To add to your list of choices, Remote Audio - Micro-cat
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Major Player

We struggled with wind noise for years and tried the rycote softies, stickys, wrapping them in silk, and nothing seemed to work as well as changing Lav Mic completely from Countryman and Lectrosonics to the Tram TR-50. The Tram eliminated a huge percent of clothing noise and also wind noise was knocked down tremendously. Nothing but great things to say about the Tram.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Furries

The Furries are about an inch in diameter, but it is all fluff. When under a T-shirt they flatten down - you can see the lump, sure: but it isn't too bad. And Trams work VERY well with them. Windjammers, BTW, are Rycote's name for their full-sized long fibre cover that goes over the rigid zeppelin. AKA Dead Cats, or Dougals (strictly in countries where The Magic Roundabout has been shown!).
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Major Player

I can see why Remote Audio calls them Micro-cat. They must have a factory of cats coughing up these furballs.
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I haven't got a framegrab to hand, but they seem to use- if not Rycotes then something very similar- them on Mythbusters frequently. Pinned up at the neck of a t-shirt they're not very noticeable, especially using the white ones on a white t-shirt, on the blacks on a black t-shirt.

I have a pair, and they really do make an incredible difference, and compared with some Rycote kit, they're not an utterly ludicrous price.
Phil Bambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #12
Major Player

I ordered two Rycotes -- a gray and a black, because I don't especially like shooting white shirts. Tomorrow I'll be seeing what the can do.
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bambridge View Post
I have a pair, and they really do make an incredible difference, and compared with some Rycote kit, they're not an utterly ludicrous price.
I would agree with this - I have used Rycote fluffies on Sennheiser ME102s at sea and on mountain tops and they just work. Well worth a try.

Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Major Player

So it's possible they'd work even in a wind that could blow a hat off your head?
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Here's some shots of the presenters of Mythbusters wearing, if not the Rycotes, then something that looks identical to me.

As for what wind they'd protect in, all I can say, not owning an anemometer is that the branches of medium sized trees were swaying a little, and I was getting occasional hits of that typical mic-disturbed-by-wind noise in my own ears. And nothing came through on the recorded sound.
Attached Thumbnails
lav wind protection?-lav_windgag_1.png   lav wind protection?-lav_windgag_2.png  

Phil Bambridge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio