DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   recording directly 2 macbook pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/128902-recording-directly-2-macbook-pro.html)

Rob Katz August 28th, 2008 07:53 AM

recording directly 2 macbook pro

i have 4 seperate talking head interviews coming up this weekend. it should take approx 60min to conduct each of the 4 interviews.

i'm shooting the interviewee on dvcam with a dsr570 and using a sony ecm88 lav and a senn 416 in a blimp on a boom hung overhead.

i'm now thinking of wanting to record the interviewer's questions. i want the best posssible sound because i am not sure whether i will use the questions in the final edit. i was going to record the interviewer using a 2nd sony ecm88 lav and a 2nd senn 416 hung overhead on a boom.

can anyone walk me thru the procedure of using a macbook pro as the recording device?

if so, my questions are:

how can i get two tracks of audio (the lav and the boom) into the mbp?

both mics take aa batteries for power, right?

the mics have xlr outputs but the mbp only has 1/8" input. will that xlr->1/8" adaptor produce a fair amount of noise?

again, how can i get two xlr mics into one 1/8" input on the macbook pro?

record directly into final cut pro or into garage band?

will final cut pro assign timecode allowing me to easily sync with the dvcam footage?

having not done the above, i'm leary of trying new workflows during a production. how clean/noisy are the macbook pro pre amps? broadcast quality?

of course, i could always use a 2nd camera to record the above but that will also double my time digitizing footage. any other "easy-tried-and true" suggestions?

thanks in advance for any and all thoughts u care to share.

be well

rob

Steve House August 28th, 2008 10:57 AM

The Sony lav runs on battery only if you have the DC-78 power supply. The Senn 416 does NOT have a battery at all and must be used with a source of phantom power from the camera or mixer.

What were you going to use as an "adapter"? A simple cable adapter will not work - you need a mixer.

Never mix lav and boom on the same channel.

You've got a whole bunch of major issues here you haven't yet examined.

While there will be "timecode" on the recording software's timeline, it won't be identical to the timecode recorded in the camera and so will be useless for syncing audio to video. Slate each shot at the head and tail.

Jeffery Magat August 28th, 2008 12:26 PM

I'd just go to camera in your situation. You're looking at getting an audio interface, and proper software to get the job done. Then you'll have issues with sync as well. I'd keep it simple.

Brian David Melnyk September 23rd, 2008 05:20 AM

I record interviews that are mostly in a language that i don't know, so i need to capture the interviewer for the translation. i usually have one mic (sE A1 pencil mic, but i'm about to test an AT shotgun...) on a stand as close as i can get without being onscreen, and another mic (preferably a matching mic) on a stand for the interviewer, both recorded to an XH-A1 on separate channels. If the mics are set up properly, i don't see why lavs would be necessary. also, i am an audio guy, but recording to pro tools on a laptop introduces a whole lot of potential problems that scare me away from that audio/video workflow...
for me, simple is better.

Brian David Melnyk September 23rd, 2008 05:22 AM

hmmm. oops.. a little late on the post.... what year is this again?